Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive not working. OS wont install.

• Please log in to reply

aero_engr

aero_engr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently I installed a new hard drive and power supply in an older computer. I've double and trippled checked the connections. However, when I start up the computer I run into some problems. I'm trying to boot from a disc (the boot order is correctly specified), but whenever I start up the computer and insert and OS disc (I've tried XP and Ubuntu), I just get an error message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." However when I try a fedora disc, it recognizes it and starts up, but it is quickly followed by a different error message: "End_request: I/O error, device sr0,sector 1409920
Buffer I/o error on device sr0, logical block 352480"

System Specs:
Lan Party NF4 Motherboard
Western Digital 320 gb HD

All the OS disc are legal copies, and I've tried re burning the Ubuntu and Fedora discs.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explain this please...what do you mean?
(the boot order is correctly specified),

aero_engr

aero_engr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just meant in the Bios the boot order is specified to boot from a disc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue seems to be the BIOS isn't keeping the settings or the disks themselves.
If the disk are original full versions then they should boot.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you prompted to "press any key to boot to CD" early on in the boot process?

aero_engr

aero_engr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No nothing like that. I checked and the bios settings are being saved.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

No nothing like that.

Well then that's your problem - it would seem you don't have the boot order correctly specified. You need to have the optical drive set as the first boot device. Then you will see the prompt. If you don't press any key, it will move to the next boot device in line. If you press a key, it will boot to the optical disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.