Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Windows

• Please log in to reply

wcolins

wcolins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Someone please help me. I've upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. I thought all I would have to do is install Windows XP and it would automatically go over the existing operating system. this, obviosly wasn't the case and now when I boot it prompts me to choose Windows2000 or XP. What I want to do is get rid of both of these and just competely redo Windows XP. How can I do this. Someone please help me.

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Whether you meant to or not - you have opted for a dual boot system ;)

The XP installer should have asked you whether you wanted to upgrade or a clean install - I suspect you chose the latter?

You say you want to start again with just XP - are you saying you'd be happy to wipe your disk and start from scratch - i.e. what about your existing files?

There are already numerous threads to do this - search the forum, last time I looked it was pinned.

Why not stick with a dual boot?

I think dual boot is better, if you experience problems with one OS, you can switch to the other ;)

The only down side is that they require more work - you need to install your programs twice (caution needed here - best to create a specific folder for your win2k programs and your XP programs, and instruct the installer programs which folder to install into).

May experience some caveats dual booting Win2k/XP, compared to say Win98/2K or XP - but if you're there already I'd explore the benefits of a dual boot scenario.

Lots of resources on Microsoft's sites on dual booting.

Good Luck - which ever way you go :tazz:

DaveB

bhmax16

bhmax16

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
If you don't feel like searching the forums then here's your answer to fix the problem...this is one of the few things I actually know how to do since I had this problem as well so here ya go!

Simply right click on "my computer" and select "properties." From there click the "advanced" tab then click "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery." This will automatically open the boot.ini file (most likely in notepad). From here look at everything under where it says [operating systems]. It should look something like this...

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

To delete Windows 2000 from the start up menu simple delete multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect, leaving you with just the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect. Save the file then exit. On your next reboot you won't be asked to choose which operating system to load with

wcolins

wcolins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. I still need to remove windows NT from my computer though. The reason being is that it is currupt. How to get rid of it would be great seeing as there was so way to delete partitions when I first installed XP and it still won't let me get rid of them now.