Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msi x58 pro-e motherboard

• Please log in to reply

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hey if anyone can help me out with my question that would be great.

i just got this msi x58 pro e board on the back of the box it says ddr3 1333mhz of memory but if u go to the msi website it says ddr3 1600mhz i just got the 1333mhz memory yesterday for this board but my question is i want to know if i have to overclock the dimm slots to see the 1600 mhz memory or can i just run 1600 mhz memory straight up cause if i can run 1600mhz memory straight up im returning the 1333mhz memory and getting the 1600.

Ive checked a few distributors that sell this board and it says the same thing.Im puzzled about this and i dont want to have to call msi via the 1900 number and rack up my phone bill.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
You can run the 1600MHz memory, but it will only run at 1066MHz. According to the MSI website you have to over clock the board to run memory at 1333MHz and 1600MHz. If you over clock the board, then the memory will run at 1600MHz.

Edited by mpascal, 24 July 2009 - 06:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The 1600 is in triple channel form
DDR3 Triple channel

computer_geek

computer_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

You can run the 1600MHz memory, but it will only run at 1066MHz. According to the MSI website you have to over clock the board to run memory at 1333MHz and 1600MHz. If you over clock the board, then the memory will run at 1600MHz.

thats what i thought im not gonna overclock my board so it can read the 1600 mhz memory. all im gonna do for overclocking is just flick the mini switch on the board and that all im gonna do im not gonna go messing around with all this crazy overclocking [bleep].