Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mifi

• Please log in to reply

chupa

chupa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For those of you who don't know what Mifi is, allow me to use the almighty C&P.

"Novatel Wireless last week announced it will release the MiFi, a portable wireless router that will deliver wireless 3G data network access to multiple users in a small area. Much the same size as a credit card, the sleek looking MiFi will let users select access to EVDO or HSPA high speed data networks.

This "cloud" of high-speed Internet connectivity that MiFi offers can be shared not only between users, but between devices such as laptops, cameras, gaming devices and multimedia players."
Thoughts anyone? :)

Sources:
http://www.readwrite..._comes_mifi.php
http://www.pcmag.com...,2346697,00.asp

Advertisements

chupa

chupa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fail on my part, forgot exactly how long ago it was released X.X

Sneakie

Sneakie

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sounds confusing >.<

Edited by Sneakie, 28 July 2009 - 07:12 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like they're just making 3G wireless. That's why I use Bluetooth. Does anyone really want to share a 3G connection with multiple users? Sounds like a niche product.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
With 3G being expensive enough already (well it sure is here in Australia), I don't see why I'd want to share it around! Could be helpful in the right place, though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think the actual target for mifi is the ability for cities to offer broad scale wifi connections....sort of like wimax...but less powerful... i don't know that they're actual target is the end user....but i could be wrong on that....

there are a multitude of "3g" routers out there that you can get and just slap one of the PCMCIA cards from your carrier into....