Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs in and then immediately logs me out again (loop)

• Please log in to reply

SoWhy

SoWhy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there,

I found several topics about such behavior but none of them helped me with this problem: When I try to start Windows (no matter which username I use), it executes wlnotify.dll, then plays the logon sound, then plays the logoff sound and displays "saving your settings" (and the restarts doing it over again). Same goes for safe mode.

I checked the registry using PCRegedit with Linux but the Winlogon key correctly pointed at userinit.exe. Thinking it might have been corrupted, I overwrote it with the one from the XP CD but no changes in behavior.

Now I am completely baffled. The problem first occured after I had to restart the system when Windows reported that several logical partitions were missing as well as the main hard disk :) I then opened the device manager and chose "Check for hardware changes" which resulted in a BSOD with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR isapnp.sys STOP 0x0000007A. After the reboot I chose "Last known good configuration" and here we are...so yeah, please help me :)

TIA
SoWhy

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello SoWhy and welcome to GTG. We will try to help you with your issue.
Please follow the next steps and let us know if the issue resolves itself afterwards.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Unfortunately, that did not work. First of all, it asked me for the path to autochk.exe, then died quickly citing "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". Any other tips?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Defective hard drive.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I checked the hard drive using tools under Linux and found no errors on it (SMART reports no errors as well), so I do not think it's a defective hard drive...

Also, even if this were a hard drive failure, how does this cause the Windows problems mentioned above? After all, it works fine up to the point when it comes to login... :)

Edited by SoWhy, 24 July 2009 - 03:43 PM.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just ran Samsung's ES-TOOL on the hard disk (including full surface scan) and it cam up with no errors at all. I think a hard drive defect can be considered highly unlikely.

Does anyone have another tip for me? I really don't want to reinstall Windows... :-/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I checked the registry using PCRegedit with Linux but the Winlogon key correctly pointed at userinit.exe. Thinking it might have been corrupted, I overwrote it with the one from the XP CD but no changes in behavior.

Did you follow these steps to do the above and if not please do.

Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When promted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If this is how you did the above then proceed to the next step of doing a Repair installation. This will not format your system but simply take your XP back to original condition. You will have to get all updates again.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I used the expand command to replace the userinit.exe, with no difference. I'm currently in the process of backing up my system partition to my external hard disk (using the RIPLinux distribution). I also made an image of the disk using testdisk.

I'll try the repair install once the file backup finishes. Thanks for your time so far.

Regards
SoWhy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and we will be here till the issue is resolved one way or another. Thank you for the update.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, I started the install, chose repair but now it seems stuck. The timer is at 39 minutes for the last half an hour and nothing happens so far. Is there a way to force the Setup to use the old Windows 2000 style when installing? I really hate the XP Setup screen...

Edit: Nvm, I seem to have been a victim of the "Microsoft minute", it's now processing, albeit very slowly...

Edited by SoWhy, 25 July 2009 - 09:19 AM.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The install just died with a BSOD citing STOP: 0x000000F4 (but not other code or file). :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have more then one hd and cd rom drive in this system?
If so then disconnect the others
Xp can be particular about anything other then one HD and one cdrom installed why it is trying to setup windows.

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I have but no luck. I decided to do it the hard way, formatting the system partition and re-installing Windows (then re-adding my profiles). Thanks anyway for all the help you tried, too bad it didn't work. :-/

Regards
SoWhy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulation for somewhat of a resolution to your issue.
I'm sorry we couldn't find a better solution for you.
We will continue to monitor this topic in case you need further assistance.
Thank you for your patience and for allowing me to assist you with this issue.