Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gparted partitioner program

• Please log in to reply

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello everyone, Recently I upgraded to windows 7 in the release candidate test however after about a week of using win7 the internet started having some serious problems only on my computer and not the family one. So I decided to try and figure out how to use the Gparted partitioner program and partition off about 20gbs and reinstall vista. Here's where it gets fun, I downloaded the Gparted livecd and put it on a disk and had my computer boot from the cd. I went into the program, and set it to partition off the 20gbs and it set the estimated time at over 18 hours. It has now been over 18 hours and the program shows I still have 9 and a half hours to go and it only seems to be moving at a rate of a half hour off the counter for every hour that goes by.

I decided to research this a little bit and see what I could figure out, Apparently I made one big newbie mistake. Apparently you are always supposed partition it off to the right, not the left....I partitioned it to the left, which is apparently the cause of all my problems as now the program has to go through every single bit of data and move it over to make room. Now, I cannot stop this program midway either otherwise I risk causing damage to all my files, although I did make a back up before hand just in case.

So, does anyone have any experience with this program and know of any ways to get this to speed up, after all this is only operation 1 of 4 that it is currently working on, Hopefully the others will move much faster but I'm expecting my computer to be out of commission for at least another day or two.

As always I really really appreciate any information and thank you in advance.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I suggest you just dump the process and start from scratch. Seems you wasted a lot of time already.

Since you already backed up, it would be faster to format, partition (using the HD manufacture utility), install Vista, and Win 7.

I've tried Gparted in the past... it should never take as long as it's taking you. Somethings up, but it up to you if you want to wait.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
well, its down to about 2.5 hours left which actually means 5 hours <.< >.> but for now since its so close I'm going to wait it out and if the other operations are going to take an extremely long amount of time as well I will probably do like you said and just cancel it midway.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I must admit I agree with makai.

The process shouldn't have taken as long as it has done up to now. When I've done it in the past its been a few hours tops.
However there really isn't anything you can do now unfortunately but ride it out like you say. However if you do start again then id would also advise doing a full re format as there will likely be a problem if you came to re format a certain sector and use that.

Also you are right in saying from the right but its a shame you found this out now rather than before you started but never mind.

Like I always say its good to get it wrong the first time because usually you don't do it wrong the second time :)

If you have any more questions about GParted I could probably answer then so im here if you need me :)

Edited by rev_olie, 25 July 2009 - 08:51 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

...well, its down to about 2.5 hours left which actually means 5 hours <.< >.> but for now since its so close I'm going to wait it out...

Well, I gotta admit, you sure have patience! Good luck to you! I hope it works out after all this.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
well, heres the news on it so far, i got off work today and came home and checked on it, the timer was now set for another 33 hours, obviously im not waiting for that. I told it to cancel the operation, it showed the hdd was just fine and I wish i had just stopped there but no........had to be an idiot. I then proceeded to go to the resize option on the hdd and try to relocate those unallocated 20gbs of hdd to the main hdd and then it showed a timer of 16 hours, so i decided to cancel it again. and now it shows the main hdd with a warning sign next to it and it says the filesystem is possibly damaged and gparted cannot recognize it. all i really want off the hdd is one text document that would just take a while to rewrite and gather all the information for it again. so a friend of mine whos a much better techie then i am showed me that you can download a linux live cd and just boot that os from the cd drive as it shows i have no os at the moment. we did that, and he said i should be able to find the file pretty easily through linux but I cannot find it anywhere at all even with the search program.

so, unless somebody can suggest a way to fix the hdd so i can just get that one file off there I'm afraid I'm going to have to reinstall windows and just reload my back up thats missing that file.

I'll wait a little while and hopefully somebody can help me out here as this is getting annoying.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
well, did a little more research, according to my research since i do not have an os when i install windows it will not truly wipe the hdd instead it just marks all the files to be used instead of in use and apparently there are several programs i can use to simply find said file and mark it as in use and that should solve the whole problem.

after all this it sounds to good to be true, any thoughts?

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
once again i have returned, I have reinstalled win7, doesnt seem to be having the problems it was having before when i originally tried to fix it which got me into this whole mess. currently I am using the program Recuva to do a deep scan everywhere in my computer for document type files and hopefully it will be on there :'( otherwise i will probably go cry for about 5 minutes.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You might try PC Inspector. Don't know if it'll work on Win7, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i'll give that a try too, unfortunately Recuva was not able to locate the file at all so I suspect it has been wiped but oh well.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, whatever happens, it'll be interesting to know how you eventually solved your problems. Good luck!

makai