Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover Vista Files

• Please log in to reply

cavfan

cavfan

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok this is complicated but I will try to be brief and concise. I bought an HP laptop off Ebay. It came preloaded with Vista Ultimate 64bit. I went in and backed up my entire hard drive through Backup and Restore Center. It did not have a partition for recovery at this point. I thought this was good enough. I backed it up to an external hard drive. I got a copy of Windows 7 and put it on. However it was 32bit. I could still access my files and such through a folder called Windows.old. I tried to completely restore my hard drive with the backup I had made with Vista, but it said it could not boot with the external, so I got some recovery cd's from HP. They are the original Vista Home Premium 64bit. I would like to know is there any way to recover my media files and Office from before? I can see on my external the Windows Backup file, but I can't boot or restore from it. Anyone have any ideas or am I just sunk?

Advertisements