Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build check

• Please log in to reply

MoMetal

MoMetal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks to the help I recieved here on a previous issue with my parents computer (here) I've figured out their mobo is shot.

It was a store bought gateway computer that my dad never was really happy with anyway. I've built a couple of computers now (with help from this board) but they've both been Intel's and they've both been from scratch. We have a new situation this time.

Basically what I want is someone to check my work and get a few pointers on "salvage building."

First the parts. The mobo was bad so theres a new motherboard with new memory (the old's some goofy factory size). He also wanted to get a smaller case to clean up the computer desk a little. And then I am assuming that a new mobo means a new operating system.

So here it is...

The mobo is an Asus micro atx

The memory is a couple sticks of DDr2 1066 Kingston memory

And the tiny case to put it in.

And good old windows XP for the operating system.

The case comes with a power supply (I know better) but I'm just going to throw in the one from the other computer (assuming that even in a micro atx case a standard power supply fits?)

The old computer has an AMD Athelon 64 3500+ 2.2ghz processor that we're going to reuse (AMD 2 slot I believe?).

Optical drive's fine, Video card's fine, and plenty of extra fans laying around.

I'm a little unsure about the Harddrive though. Can you just plug an old Harddrive into a new mobo or do you need to do something to it first? Or does it format and start fresh with the new mobo?

Also, the Optical drive's got a big floppy PATA cable, think that'll be an issue in the Micro ATX case? I know they're not expensive but we're definatly going on budget here.

My parents don't use the computer for much. They run quick books, do some excel stuff for work, and check their email. I can't even get my dad to do netflixs and stream videos with my account :) so it doesnt have to be a monster system.

Also, anything else I need to watch when piecing together a computer with frankinparts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements