Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Video from a vcr to a computer

• Please log in to reply

tamsturn

tamsturn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Folks,
I have spent the last five hours trying to figure out why my vcr and computer do not like each other. I have a bunch of vhs tapes with home movies of the kids. I want to transfer parts of them to the computer and then burn on a dvd. I went to Compu USA and bout a "Kworld dvd maker usb 2.0" setup. I plugged the adapter into the usb port and then the three wires ( white yellow and red)into the vcr. I opened the software ( cyberlink power producer) and It recognizes the vcr but the picture only rolls and looks black and white. There is a plug also connected to the video capture device which I believe is a S-Video 1 plug. I do not have it connected because I didn't think I needed to connect both at the same time. Does anyone have any idea where I am messing up?
Thanks
Tam

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Sorry for the late reply,

You don't need to connect both s-video and the standard rca jacks at the same time. What you more than likely have is a cheap version of a video capture device. If I were you I'd take it back and buy an "ADAPTEC GAMEBRIDGE" which is known to be the best usb capture device if you don't already have a video card that can capture coax, rca, etc.

Your pc may also have a low amount of ram to help process all the video coming in. You should have a minimum of 512mb to run such usb capture devices, and make sure that no other programs are running when you use it. That also means that every program should be exited in your systray [the small icons where your windows clock is]. Really and truely I think it's just a poor capture device...

Also try to connect the vcr to the tv using the same output and see if it works. I honestly strongly suggest you buy an "ADAPTEC GAMEBRIDGE". It'll really serve you well...