Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Won't Boot Past Logo

• Please log in to reply

hahn79solo

hahn79solo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a Compaq Presario 2500 that will not boot past the Windows logo screen. I was unable to boot to any of the safe mode variations nor the last known good config. When it gets to the Windows logo screen it is doing fine, then the screen goes black and the HD light stops flashing showing no I/O being present anymore.

I booted to the XP Home CD and started the Recovery Console. I did completed the following commands from the prompt:

chkdsk /r
fixboot
bootcfg
fixmbr

All were completed successfully and I'm still having the same problems. I decided that i was going to recover the data I needed and rebuild the HD, however when I try to access the Documents and Settings directory it replies with "Access Denied".

Any ideas on how to get around the boot problem or to recover the data. I thought about creating a bootable floppy from another machine but haven't tried that route yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by hahn79solo, 12 May 2005 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

SeeHear

SeeHear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You could simply reinstall (you might try a repair install first, but that might not help) windows. You will have to reinstall your apps but it won't kill your data files, especially if you use partition magic to create a new partition to install the new instance of windows. After reinstalling, as admin, take ownership of the folder you need access to and copy your data. Note: Reinstall, not restore!

hahn79solo

hahn79solo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was getting ready to try and do a repair install....this is a computer that was handed to me to try and recover the data to start. The one concern I have is salvaging the data. The drive itself was not partitioned at all or this would be a simple task.

I'm not familar with Partition Magic....will it allow me to partition the disk as it is already even though I cannot even log on to the box or do anything other than run the Recovery Console?

SeeHear

SeeHear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Part magic will boot for you, but a reinstall won't hurt the data, providing you are truly reinstalling (from a windows install disk), not restoring with a manufacturer provided disk. Restores typically repartition and reimage. See symantec's website for more on Partition Magic. Good luck.