Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want To Copy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I bought a friend a used computer and it has an illegal copy of windows. I own an original and would like to make a copy of it and send it to her. Can I just put in in the CD Rom and hit copy, or is there something else I need to do to make sure it will work?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your original installed on your system?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Yes, but I have the CD since I bought it seperate from the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it is already installed on one system it can not be legally installed on another at the same time.
Pursuant to the Terms Of Agreement and Licensing with Microsoft.
She would have to purchase a copy to be legal.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I was told by Microsoft as long as I own the computers, I could put it on them. I already have the same copy on three other computers and all are registered.

Edited by woodworks, 25 July 2009 - 10:16 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you were never told that by Microsoft...if you install it on a different computer it must be removed from the old first...they do not allow a single copy of windows on 4 different computers...
although I wish it were true...I could then just buy one copy and build a dozen or a hundred computers all using that one copy...

Edited by happyrock, 25 July 2009 - 03:30 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well someone from Microsoft told me that. As far as buying a seperate copy for each computer, I doubt that anyone does that.
Be that as it may, I don't want to ask anyone to do something that they feel isn't right. I value the expert help I get in here, so I'm not going to jeopardise that. Since all of these computers are for my own personal use, I don't feel at all guilty for using one copy for them all. It has been many years since I've spoken to Microsoft, so I have no idea what they would say now. And since I have never spoken to Bill Gates, there is no telling who told me that.

But once again, thank you for the info.

Edited by woodworks, 25 July 2009 - 03:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
even if what you say is true you said at the beginning

I own an original and would like to make a copy of it and send it to her

That system is not in your physical presence so your believe would not work either way.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well as I said, I did buy the computer. But as I also inferred, it isn't something I'm going to worry about. I'll figure it out somehow. If not, no big deal she still has windows on it now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

As far as buying a seperate copy for each computer, I doubt that anyone does that

I do

Edited by happyrock, 26 July 2009 - 06:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ditto :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Since our TOU specifically states that we will not help with illegally obtained software - a definition that extends to software that is obtained legally but then used illegally - this topic is now closed. Woodworks, since you've now admitted to this, future requests for help will undoubtedly be scrutinized more carefully. I can assure you that many people do purchase a separate copy of an OS for each PC.