Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run applications

• Please log in to reply

neofite

neofite

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a trojan horse (I believe) when I completed the removal with AVG by Rebooting, I was no longer able to open application files. Only internet explorer and Outlook will load. I cannot load any new files or install anything. When I try to open an application I get the error "Unknown File Type" and asks if I want to look for a program to open it. Checking properties reveals a blank where there should be a file type. all my short cuts have lnk or Ink next to them and a pale icon.
I'm guessing this will either be easy or impossible.
I cannot load control pannel or anything else. I can load task manager and I do have some programs such as parts of AVG running. Even though AVG will not load. I placed the drive in another computer and did a virus scan which brought up three trojan horses:
Trojan horse rootkit Pakes A
Trojan horse Agent2FJQ
Trojan horse Agent2FJP
upon loading windows and opening my account I get the message "cannot open Adobe Gamma loader lnk.

Thankyou for your assistance
bruce

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

neofite

neofite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok

neofite

neofite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was able to resolve this by doing a repair using my xp cd.
thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have put a temporary fix on the problem. I see you have a malware topic on this issue and would suggest you follow through with it.
The infection has most likely not been cleaned up and probably will return.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 July 2009 - 08:38 AM.

neofite

neofite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I'll do that

thank you
bruce