Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do u trust google

• Please log in to reply

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

lol I guess the subliminal message wouldn't work but if they could find a name like that that doesn't relate to google being the government it might be good!!

Why? Google is getting SO big, it just as might as well be part of the government - who knows? Fine, the service they provide (for everyone that wants to use their services) is to collect data/information from ALL websites on the internet and share it with everyone else. And they do it quite well too. Or am I wrong in assuming this? They even got my rinky-dink website listed. I thought... "Why would THEY want info off MY website." It's not really of interest to anybody but probably my friends back in the States.

If you think about it, they DO snoop a little deeper than they should.

Just a thought.

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

They even got my rinky-dink website listed.

thats one of the things i like about google. You can find all the sites you could dream of on it. Which some of those websites can answer some unique questions you may not have been able to find anywhere else. Now they don't go any deeper than any other website really. I mean You give ur credit card info to amazon.com but they don't send it out to others on the web. They could steal your identity very easily but they wouldn't.

I think of google as that same kind of business. They have access to everything but if even 1 employee made a mistake they are finished because nobody would trust them with that information anymore so they hold themselves to a very high standard and I don't think anyone could offer them any sum of money to get that information off of them.

I think facebook gets about the even amount of info from you. Think about how many day to day activities are posted by you or your friends on facebook. They know everything and thats owned by microsoft. Not only that but now they will keep the information even if you delete your profile. Again I trust them with that information because of the point stated above. Any mistakes and the website is finished.

I'm just saying that a company that gives away free services relies on it's users to provide information to them so they can properly advertise and make money and with that come great responsibility and if people don't think the owners and operators of google don't understand that then they are mistaken.

Google Defender 4 Life ( :) The nickname still needs some work any good ideas are very much welcomed)

I also wanna add none of that is ment to be offensive I just was stating personal thoughts not attacking anyone elses ideas so please no one take offense to my statements

Cramm

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Absolutely NO offence taken Cramm. I agree with a heck of a lot of what you're sayin'. Even when I wrote that 'They even got my rinky-dink website listed.', it really didn't bother me, actually I was kind of proud when I first found out - believe it or not. But it made me think... "how far do you have to go for information?" Well, that's they're job - and like I said before, they do they're job VERY good.

NB: My website's been around since '97 and has only been updated a few times since. Since Google showed it's face (and even other earlier search engines), I've tried to find my own website using (specific) key words to see if they had my site listed. For a long time no hits. I think that it's only within the last 10 months or so that I could finally find my own website via Google. MyWebSite

Edited by crooz, 01 August 2009 - 04:36 PM.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
There are some websites, Forums which wont allow registering with a Gmail account. They state the fact that the U.S. Government can "ask" for info about a user. As I'm not a criminal, or whatever, I feel these sites a bit paranoid, reputable AntiMalware sites actually. There have been issues with Gmail accounts that have been raised recently, concerning security, but as far as I'm concerned I'd rather Gmail than Hotmail or Yahoo . In fact I redirect my Live, and Yahoo accts to my Gmail accts, better spam filtering I feel.

Google and Microsoft have funds over the half a Trillion dollar mark, more than some countries ! As far as Google I feel they "could" be dangerous to personal security, but no incidents as far as I know has ever portrayed that. There is the "Google Cookie" , which you used to be able to delete, haven't tried for a year or so.
Check it out HERE

Google Cache is amazing, they just about have the whole Web stored away. This became apparent when moving a Forum and oops we lost some of our data. Our very knowledgable Admin was able somehow to retrieve the lost data .

So, ... if I was up to no good I'd worry about Google, but that's not the case so I just use it as a [bleep] good tool.

charlesyang

charlesyang

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
well, i just get the infomation i need there.

AgentXu

AgentXu

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
My question would be what is the alternative? The argument against Google (that it does too much, too well, too far removed from its original design) is the same argument against computers in general- what if The Matrix/Terminator apocalypse comes because we build computers that do too much, too well, too far removed from their original purpose? Do we just stop building better and better computers? Of course not. Google is the natural evolution of a system (the internet) in desperate need of some type of order. That the tools they use could potentially be used for clandestine or even malicious purposes is kind of irrelevant. What couldn't?

I "trust" Google to be as effective as possible at making money. To that end I think they'll develop themselves to be as efficient as possible at the service they provide. Beyond that is the realm of the conspiracy a theory (a realm I left behind when the X-Files went off the air.)

A.X.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
This is an interesting thread....

I have a friend that won't use Chrome, his parents won't let him use Gmail. He has an account that his friends made for him but his parents don't know. He told me that he didn't trust Google because they look at your private info and emails (I am sure that he got the idea from his parents). I told him that anybody could, if Yahoo wanted to, Yahoo could too.

It is interesting how people get the feeling that one service that is your friend, and is one of the best out there will have conspiracy theories and rumors spreading around. The worst thing is people believe the stuff. Google Chrome is not trying to take your private info and send it to Google, it keeps your history so you can refer to it, it keeps auto fill data so you can browse quicker.

If anything, it should never be Google you are worried about, but that BHO that is recording what you type or the phishing website that is copying the Gmail login.

I trust Google, but not the people who tell you not to trust it.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
A couple of sites this year have asked I not register to their Forums with a Gmail account, one; with a Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail.

It is a lame request as I just redirected the Hotmail (Live) account back to my Gmail account, as I like the spam Filter in Gmail, it puts it all in a nice folder called SPAM, unlike other providers. I do respect Forums wishes to ask what they please if they're being hit with Spam, whether it be via Gmail or whatever, and I do disclose that I redirect to my Gmail account. transparency in all matters of security is the least we can do in fighting Malware.
I always feel odd asking a question online, as I have such a huge resource of information at my fingertips . Just Googling, "Do u trust Google", pretty well kills the question before you have time to start a thread.
Seems the big scare is Google holds your Email "forever", but if there was ever a situation which showed the morality behind Google storing such data, you can read about it Google throws out US data demand
But who can we trust, people lie, but when these issues hit the courts your pretty sure your getting the real deal as far as the "Truth", unless it's in Russia, or China. No Malice towards those two Countries intended, just their track record is a little dodgy when information is concerned.
Google has lots to do with intelligence
As ignoramosaid:

"He told me that he didn't trust Google because they look at your private info and emails (I am sure that he got the idea from his parents). I told him that anybody could, if Yahoo wanted to, Yahoo could too..."

One thing I wouldn't do is click on a Google Add :)

Edited by Topaz, 31 August 2009 - 09:31 AM.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

One thing I wouldn't do is click on a Google Add :)

Hehe, yes! They are certainly helpful for me finding rogues for my VM, LOL.

Icedrake

Icedrake

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

When it came out, it was spelled GMail. The capitalized M was dropped somewhere in transition.

Yep, I've been using gmail that long. (Some people just don't capitalize. Or they spell it gamil, like me when I'm frantically typing in an attempt to check my email faster :))

Yeah, that's how it was spelled when it came out. And yes, my Gmail account is that old. I also tend to type gamil instead of gmail since I'm a pretty fast typer lol. :)

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
There's also the occasional gnauk.com that comes from not looking where your fingers are before you start typing :)

ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't trust google. Go ahead, install Web Of Trust in your browser, and compare how many red links you get in Google versus Yahoo or Bing when you search " Free Antivirus "

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 04 September 2009 - 09:46 AM.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Just because the malicious links show up on google searches doesn't mean that you shouldn't trust google. Google ads and searches is different then Google as a whole.

Coeco

Coeco

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Personally i do of course trust the searching engine i've been using for 7 years now but i know it can be capable of alot of things. Both good AND bad.

CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK, so I'm paranoid <or am I>? I remember when my harddrive was buzzing frantically while logged on to Prodigy years ago, and unplugging the line , it was some months later when the charges were filed. Sure they were violating trust for $. We are steeped in capitalism, and in corporate structures it guides all actions and decisons <or at least a lot we wouldn't think correct personally>. So, would I be suprised if enterprising database programmers couldn't and wouldn't be able to comprise a most intersting file on anyone and if our Post911 thinking wouldn't carry that a little futher than the founding fathers had in concept. I think sooo. On the other hand there are more interesting things to do, for me, and it's over my head. I'm going fishing. Hi Guys! Just dropped in and my first impression is you are mostly out of my league, so I'll shut up and let it go on. I do appreciate you're being here though.