Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL search bar giving problems

• Please log in to reply

JoRoss

JoRoss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi running aol 9.1 and if I type something in the top search bar I get something, for example, like this: Typed BBC Space force and the following appears in the search bar on the page that comes up BBC%20Space%20force. The list that appears under this has lots of entries that look like this:

SALR Thread Data v2 id=2270712&lastpostdt=200701091022&lastp...
... =56946&title=BBC%3A%20%27New%20stem%20cell%20sourc e%27%20discovered ..... = What%20music%20would%20you%20like%20to%20wake%20up %20to%20IN%20SPACE%3F ... =How %20do%20we%20force%20some%20hygiene%20habits%20ont o%20this%20guy%3F ...
Does not matter what you type it does this every time!

If I type a proper URL in the top search bar all works normally and the site comes up as it does if I click on something in the favorites list. If I use the search bar in Internet Explorer 8 all works normally with or without AOL toolbar turned on.

If I type BBC Space force in the search bar at the top of the AOL welcome page it all works normally so what is going on? Only just started doing this a few days ago.

The situation just got a wee bit stranger! I fired up my old machine which runs Windows Millenium with Internet Explorer 6, not 8 like the other machine, and with AOL 9 and not 9.1 and guess what, exactly the same problem. The only common factor here is the AOL broadband box and AOL itself. The old machine has not been on-line for weeks so I think that almost rules out the possibility of a recent downloaded Trojan or some such. I have run Spybot S&D and AVG on both machines and nothing found.I have also run Ccleaner but no good effect.

Any AOL experts out there?.......................................JR

Advertisements

JoRoss

JoRoss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well now even weirder as the problem I reported just disappeared yesterday. The only Windows update today has been this one which I would not have thought could be responsible but what do I know. Maybe AOL has done an update, don't know how you could tell!.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.63.422.0)

Date d'installation : ‎28/‎07/‎2009 09:27

État de l'installation : Réussite (successful)

Type de mise à jour (update): Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed

Edited by JoRoss, 29 July 2009 - 03:27 AM.

JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
This is an update for Windows Defender, it doesn't have anything to do with AOL. Anyway, to add AOL search to your IE8 search bar, click the little arrow by the looking glass and then click Add search providers.... In the first field enter http://search.aol.com/aol/search?s_it=topsearchbox.search&q=TEST and in the second anything that would let you identify this search engine, so for example "AOL Search" should do.

JoRoss

JoRoss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info though I hardly ever use I.E. as such. I do have AOL tool bar installed on it anyway. Cheers and as indicated problem resolved.............JR