Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts after few minutes in Windows

• Please log in to reply

SoWhy

SoWhy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there,

my PC is bent on driving me nuts it seems. Or rather, my Windows is. :)
I have re-installed Windows after some problem caused it to be fried and have re-added those things I need (drivers etc., same ones that worked fine for months on the old one). But now something weird happens: After few minutes of working, usually with some CPU load, the PC just resets and starts anew. No error message, nothing. I could replicate the problem both in normal and in safe mode using a simple PERL script that causes an infinite loop and thus uses 100% CPU time.
Which naturally let me think my CPU was defective and overheating. But when I booted up RIPLinux and performed the same experiment there, the PC ran for over an hour at 100% CPU without any problem, which leads me to believe that it has to be a problem with Windows...
...but what is it? :)

TIA
SoWhy

Edited by SoWhy, 27 July 2009 - 04:06 AM.

Advertisements

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nvm, I think I fixed it by restoring my old registry (I made a backup right after installing, just in case), it was probably either a driver or registry problem causing the CPU to think it is overheating

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So would this issue have been caused by you trying to get a program to work by editing the registry??

His other Post on editing the registry.
http://www.geekstogo...XP-t246753.html