Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Guide to using Memtest86+

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Guide to using Memtest86+

Memtest is a small boot loaded program that allows a user to detect faults in his or her RAM . It comprises of a series of tests that puts the RAM under different stresses such as transferring different amounts of data across the channels quickly thereby testing how well it copes, and at the same time checking for accuracy and errors in the data transferred.

Common symptoms of bad ram

There are many indicators of bad memory, some of which can be completely overlooked but generally they come down to the following:
  • Computer not booting at all, beeping endlessly.
    The computer may display just a black screen with the computer still being on or restarting. Also a POST beep may be heard which indicates hardware faults. There are different sequences of beeps and so research must be carried out to ascertain whether its a RAM fault or not.
    However remember different motherboard manufacturers have different POST beeps and so the correct sequence of POST beeps for one motherboard may not mean bad RAM on another.

• Distorted graphics on the screen.
    One of the stranger indications of bad memory. Ive seen so many users put this down to graphics cards. The user has then gone and bought themselves a new £100 graphics card to find out their £20 stick of RAM was the fault. This is a great point to which to use Memtest, just to make sure of the fault.

• Blue screens of death during the installation of Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Vista.
    This is an obvious sign of faulty RAM. A Blue Screen Of Death is an error screen displayed by some operating systems, most notably Microsoft Windows, after encountering a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down to prevent damage.
    As there is no driver that can go wrong here and other hardware wont have fully been configured, faulty RAM will be the reason for the error in most cases.

• Crashes or Blue screens during normal operation of the system (emails, web surfing etc.)
    General use of faulty RAM will produce a Blue screen. However again don't automatically assume this is RAM associated. There are hundreds of different items that could cause these symptoms and so diagnostics are required.

• Crashes during memory intensive tasks such as using Photoshop, playing 3d games etc..
    When intensive programs are used there is a greater risk of hardware over-stressing itself, thus causing errors. This is actually an area of testing completed by Memtest to check for RAM stability.
    The general term for this would be stress testing. This is were hardware is put under extra pressure to perform large task. Faulty RAM would not be able to cope in most instances under this pressure thus singling it out as faulty.
Setting up Memtest.

Now that you have diagnosed faulty (or the possibility of faulty) RAM you should carry on to set up Memtest. There are 2 versions to choose from but i will be using the CD version due to the easier and much quicker install.

• First Download Memtest from This Link.
  • There are several downloads to choose from. For this CD Version you require the link that says:
    Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
  • Download the file to your desktop.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you can right click the file and choose Extract All

Posted Image

If you do not have Windows XP or above or are running other Operating systems:
  • Click This Link to download 7Zip. Windows user require the Top link in the list for the .exe version. 64 Bit users should select the 64 bit version.
    Others users eg Mac Users should go to the heading below that says Some unofficial p7zip packages for Linux and other systems and download the relevant version.

• Download that to your desktop. Then double click the 7Zip installer and allow it to install on your system.
  • Once 7zip is installed right click the Memtest folder (called something like memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip)
  • Then click 7 Zip > Extract Here.
    Posted Image

You will now have a .iso file on your desktop called memtest86+-2.11
  • Now Click This Link to download ImgBurn.
  • Download that to your desktop and launch the installer by double clicking the ImgBurn installer icon. Follow the instructions, keeping the settings as the defaults.
  • Now when that is installed double click the program icon to launch Posted Image
  • Then click Write image file to disk
  • Then insert your Blank CD
  • Next click the Browse for File button Posted Image and load the memtest.iso from your desktop.
  • Then click the large Write file to disk button Posted Image.
  • The program will then create your boot disk.

First and foremost verify that your disk has burned correctly.
Go to My Computer or Finder on a Mac and go to your CD/DVD drive. Make sure the Disk is called Boot. If not then the burn has been unsuccessful. However if it is called Boot your CD is ready to go :)
  • Now leave the disk in the drive and shutdown your PC.
  • Open the side of your Case and remove all but 1 sticks of RAM. You should only have one stick of RAM installed when running Memtest.
    Posted Image

Pull the white clips to the side and the stick of RAM should pop out.
    DO NOT put your RAM sticks on the carpet or on anything that can create static. This is a sure fire way to kill the components. Place them on some cardboard or in an antistatic bag to reduce the risk
  • Turn your PC back on.
  • Memtest should now boot. If not, go to the FAQ below.
  • No more user involvement is required at this stage. Memtest will automatically start the tests. The images below show Memtest scans in progress.
  • Once Memtest has completed its scan note down any errors that occurred. However usually you will be the one to stop the scan. You can stop the scan at any time but I would advise you run it for at least test number 8 as shown in the image below near the top right hand corner of the screen.
  • Then repeat the steps above for the remaining sticks of RAM by opening the case and swapping the existing stick with the one that has not been tested and then re run Memtest.

What it means:

The image below outlines the various areas of the Memtest screen.

Posted Image

Other Tests
This image shows a current scan being performed with Memtest86+

Posted Image

Failures
The image below shows a system with failures within Memtest. As you can see in the left hand Column it shows the failures were all made within test 3. Any failures would normally lead you to have to replace the RAM module as its usually something that isn't repairable.

Posted Image

FAQ

Memtest didn't run when i turned on my computer

This is the most common problem with Memtest and falls down to a problem in your BIOS.

To fix this:
  • Turn off your PC wait 10 seconds and then Turn it on again.
  • When your PC loads and gets to the POST screen it will say something along the lines of Press DEL (delete) to enter setup. See This Image as an example.
  • When you enter the BIOS use your arrow keys to move to either the Main, Advanced or Advanced BIOS Features Tab.
  • You will be looking for a list that says Primary Master, Primary Slave etc. See This Image for help.
  • Then Navigate down to Primary Master (using the arrow keys) and then using in most PCs the + and - keys change the primary Master to CD-ROM /DVD-Drive or something similar
  • Then change Primary Slave to Hard Disk or Hard Drive what ever is available.

Is this test 100% accurate?

These tests are here to try and ascertain errors in your RAM. Some tests could come back as failing due to other reasons such as the program itself. Therefore the results will not be 100% accurate.

I have an error, now what

Most errors found in Memtest will require you to replace your RAM. This is because the problems are found more in the hardware of the RAM and how it works. Therefore it would be difficult for the Average user to repair. Please see the Hardware-Components-Peripherals Forum for more help.

I have more than one stick of RAM, does this matter?
Yes. Being able to diagnose each RAM stick individually is important as only one stick of RAM could be faulty saving you money if a replacement is required. When scanning with Memtest make sure you only have 1 stick of RAM installed at a time to improve the scanning results.

You can also check out This Video contributed by Ferrari if you need more help or if the steps in this guide don't quite work out for you

Thanks also to rshaffer61 for helpful advice and corrections given.

Edited by rev_olie, 24 August 2009 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

daren5

daren5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi,many thanks for your guide.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Thats no problem :)

If you have any specific questions or problems then we will be able to help you over in the Hardware-Components-Peripherals subforum

GCMatt

GCMatt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I was wondering; if I ran all my RAM and it came up with no errors, all the RAM sticks would be okay, as would that RAM slot. If I were to change the slot they were in and find an error, will the test be able to distinguish if it's the RAM stick or the slot? (Obviously we would assume it's the slot since the sticks passed in another slot...but I just want some confirmation.)

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, this feels like a stupid question, but i've done it before and it worked so i'm not getting why i'm having this problem.

The memory works, no errors, no problems. I bought a new chip that runs fine by itself, but it will not work with either of the other 2 chips i already have.

I have 2 256 mb pc3200 400mHz chips

I was going to upgrade one chip to a 512 also pc3200 400mHz

They're both DDR, CL3

But i put the 512 in with either of the 256 chips and it doesn't work. By itself, it works fine. The other two chips work fine as long as they aren't in the mb with the 512. I have 2 slots and trying to upgrade my memory cause we all know that 512 is bad and definitely not enough for even some everyday users who run anything flash based on their computer.

So what is the problem? All chips are non eec, non registered... so i don't know what i'm supposed to do

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, good question, these ones are the kind that get me stumped from time to time also so you are not alone.

Best bet is to make a new thread in the hardware section as specified above, and feel free to shoot me a PM and I will take a look for you, plenty of other Techs will see it also so you are bound to get an answer.

Cheers

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks, will do :D

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
got crazy busy and missed the comment but its a good one - making it clear that the program is not ever going to be 100% accurate. There are reasons for failures that software will never pick up and these are going to be situations where its just best to give up - but only clearly after a fight.

If 2 sticks of RAM aren't working together there are a few reasons but not a shed load.
The main areas to look are if they are a matched pair or not. Unmatched memory is a big problem in machines. As to why - well I don't really know - but having unmatched memory eg different vendors, speeds and types will cause issues. They do the same job but each in a very different way and by mixing the two, data is incorrectly handled causing leaks and problems.

Also not forgetting that bad RAM isn't going to be the only reason a stick may fail. The motherboard and OS need to manage the memory and what goes where. On-board controllers and various chips do that job and if these are faulty again it can cause all sorts of miss matches.

Each case is going to be different but like I say this program will only give you a good head start to finding a solution - but it will never be able to give you one :)

Let me know (pm, or forum message (making sure you tell me where it is!)) if you want any more help etc. Can't say I'm a memory expert but I can at least try. Hopefully it will give me a rock solid excuse to get on the board again!

vultus

vultus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran memtest overnight on 2 memory sticks but when i got up the following morning i found my pc turned off, what could have caused this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I ran memtest overnight on 2 memory sticks but when i got up the following morning i found my pc turned off, what could have caused this?

The computer turning itself off is commonly caused by overheating or faulty PSU. Make a new thread in the hardware/components section and someone will help you out.

Advertisements

vultus

vultus

• Pip
  • 3 posts

The computer turning itself off is commonly caused by overheating or faulty PSU. Make a new thread in the hardware/components section and someone will help you out.

But I never had my pc turning off before, it only happened when i ran memtest overnight.
I know that memtest tests memory but also cpu L1 L2 and mobo, could a problem with other componets have caused the shutdown?

Edited by vultus, 16 March 2012 - 01:36 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

could a problem with other componets have caused the shutdown?

Yes as Troy has indicated it could be caused by overheating or a faulty PSU. The timing of the problem could just be a coincidence with running memtest86. Starting your own topic would give us a chance to address your issue in your own topic away from a tutorial only topic.

Agrafagr

Agrafagr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my respect to you ))

vultus

vultus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
actually it was power loss that caused it, the test ran fine later. Thanks anyway

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We're glad you got it figured out and thanks for asking about it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: