Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply too freakin hot?

• Please log in to reply

alphaguy

alphaguy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey guys Im using a custom built computer, and basically I noticed the PSU is extremely hot.

Specs are

Q6600 overclcoked to 3.00 ghz
asus p5q motherboard
4gb ram
arctic cooling heatsink
nvidia 9800 gtx+ videocard
and 1 500, and 1 640gb hd

Yeah basically before this I felt the cpu was overheating, so I opened the case and boom temp went down
after that tho, the psu starts to overheat and after a while if i start running anything intense, it crashes after a while.
Its starting to really annoy me

oh yeah I forgot to mention cooler master extreme power duo 650W is my PSU

Edited by alphaguy, 27 July 2009 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
How do you know the PSU is overheating? Only a very few have temperature sensors.

The first thing you must ALWAYS do when troubleshooting stability problems is go back to normal clock rates. So do that, then if still having problems, we can go from there.

alphaguy

alphaguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well its just a guess that its the psu cause seriously, i touch the top of the case, I think i can cook an egg on it. Checked cpuz and all that stuff, nothing is even near a high temperature, so yeah. NORMAL CLOCK SPEEDS? blahhhh I gotta get someone else to do it, I worry I'll screw the settings up, I'll bump this thread when that happens. Till then, any other ideas?