Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp Login won't load

• Please log in to reply

NakimandEmustan

NakimandEmustan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I for some reason get a lot of computer viruses and this is my second one that totally shut down the computer, the first one I was able to get saved but this time it's not working out so well.

I did a system restore one day when I was having trouble with my browser, then when the computer tried to restart it told me a file was deleted part of system32 or something like that. I sent it to my sisters boyfriend and he managed to fix it for a day, but then it went bad again and I hadn't gotten the chance to backup my files.

Now It's a few months later and I have a Windows restore disk, it reloaded a windows home edition supposedly on the laptop but winlogin isn't found. So when it gets to the logon screen it cancels the action and trys to fix it but there ends up being a bunch of problems with sys32 that block it and it just won't load and I don't know what to do with it anymore. I just want to get my files off it. Is there anyway to do that when it's like this?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello NakimandEmustan...

What is the make and model number of your computer?

Is the restore disk you have specifically for your machine or is it another brand? Or...are you talking about a Microsoft branded retail disk?

We have a couple options we can try, but it will all depend on what kind of disk you have.

wannabe1

NakimandEmustan

NakimandEmustan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I guess the make is Dell Inspiron
The model # is PP12L

I got the restore disk I'm using from my sister, my father misplaced our own. it supposedly worked with this computer last time but now it's not. It's windows xp home edition, which I think is different than what the windows was before. It was windows xp, but I don't know if home edition changes anything

NakimandEmustan

NakimandEmustan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I guess the make is Dell Inspiron
The model # is PP12L

I got the restore disk I'm using from my sister, my father misplaced our own. it supposedly worked with this computer last time but now it's not. It's windows xp home edition, which I think is different than what the windows was before. It was windows xp, but I don't know if home edition changes anything