Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post your dream pc.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you install Win7 (or Vista) as dual boot, there's one important thing you need to know. Win7 will replace the boot.ini file with it's own BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file. The BCD file is not nearly as easy to edit without using third party software (I use Vista Boot Pro), but many of them won't install or work correctly under Windows 7...or they didn't last time I tried. You can edit the BCD with Recovery Console, but you'll need new commands just for the BCD...the old bootcfg commands will not be effective.

I've had the best luck with fresh installs when setting up dual boot machines. In your situation, I would install the extra drive and format it. Then boot to the Win7 DVD and install to the new drive. The installation process should automatically detect the older version of Windows and add it to the BCD for you.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm dissappointed in some of you. There are three dream machines listed in this topic, and not a single one has either A) an SSD as your main. B) Two Velociraptors in a RAID Configuration. C) All the above. :)

I think my Dram PC would not be in a regular case. It would be custom built(by me) either built into a custom desk, on a "wall hanger", or just an awesome professional looking abstract case/configuration. Like Edelweiss

I've thought about building a server set-up and a PC into one case/area. Like an All-in-one case.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I'm dissappointed in some of you. There are three dream machines listed in this topic, and not a single one has either A) an SSD as your main. B) Two Velociraptors in a RAID Configuration. C) All the above. :rolleyes:

Actually, Troy's has all of the above. :) Well, he doesn't specifically state that the OS would be installed on an SSD or that the Velociraptors are in RAID 0, but he does list two SSDs and three Velociraptors.

I do agree, though, that Troy seems to be the only one who used the traditional definition of a dream machine (the best PC you can come up with, regardless of price) when making his build.

I guess from this point then it's just a matter of getting the parts. That may not happen till tax time :)

Tax time is in April, right? In that case, I must quote myself...

1. Designing any machine that you intend to buy in 1-2 years is pointless. In 1-2 years, you'll be able to get much more performance for the same price. (Or the same performance for a much lower price.)

I realize April is "only" eight months away, but my advice still holds true. Even a month from now, you'll be able to get better performance for the same price.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OMG, I looked over his list at least 3 times before I posted and I missed the 2 SSD's each time. Ummm, whooops! I know as far as the velociraptor on his build goes, I sort of forgot to look at the Quantity Box. I was looking for two pictures of them LOL!

My bad...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your bad big time! 2x SSD's in RAID 0 for OS, and the 3x Velociraptors in RAID 5 for data storage/redundancy.

:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Your bad big time! 2x SSD's in RAID 0 for OS, and the 3x Velociraptors in RAID 5 for data storage/redundancy.

Haven't studied much about RAID except the RAID 0, but that is pretty much the set-up I was talking about when I opened my big fat mouth. :)

*Ferrari slowly walks away feeling like an idiot

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
dream pc - hmmmm,

mine - most will say its old but there is nothing i have seen better, in fact it may be a little overkill,

take out the rubbish and i am left with,

1 x asrock 775vm800
1 x p4 3.4 prescott
2 x 1gb ddr400
1 x ati radeon 9550 (256mb)
1 x TSSTcorp CD/DVDW DL SH-S162A writemaster (ide)
1 x TSSTcorp DVDRW DL SH-S223 22x writemaster (sata)
1 x seagate 200gb barracuda
1 x maxtor STM3500320AS 320gb
1 x maxtor STM3500320AS 500gb
1 x western digital WCANK6135697 250gb
1 x internal 16 to 1 card reader
1 x colorsit gold 650 watt psu
1 x floppy

onboard sound

silver and black custom case with 3 fans plus exhaust fan
viewsonic g90f+ (because i prefer crt) for pc stuff

added extras

audio connected to a pioneer sx-400 quadrophonic amp
equiliser on my o/s
2 x solavox pr30 speakers
2 x goodmans speakers (unknown model)

1 x sony k800i which connects via bluetooth and becomes (as if by magic) a webcam, sound recorder, video recorder, camera - and best of all - a remote control

32 inch phillips tele for vid stuff

a little overkill - i have 2gb ram + 256 on my vid card but my o/s is optimized for around 800mb, if i utilize any more then my system drastically slows down (the extra ram is for windows),
i make my own vids and do a lot of transcoding and editing - my cpu is not in the least bit stressed,
and why would i need a top of the range vid card - apart from bragging rights,

there are more added goodies but i fear i will bore the listener :)

Edited by hawklord, 01 August 2009 - 05:59 PM.

JessicaD42

JessicaD42

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Rshaffer61,
If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the information JessicaD42.
I wish I could pre-order it but like most people money is a giant factor at this moment.
That is why I have to wait till tax refund in January or February to buy the components for my new build along with the Windows 7 64 bit

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I verified on the site you suggested JessicaD42 and discovered that in deed the Ultimate does include both the 32 and 64 bit versions.
I will be purchasing it as I stated above in January unless somehow I can come up with the 638.00 dollars to preorder it.
I thank you again for the information as it was very helpful in my decision on which one to buy. :) :) :) :)

Advertisements