Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Establishing Fastest Dialup Connection

• Please log in to reply

MrSupernatural

MrSupernatural

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello GeekstoGo and fellow members!

I am a new user to this site and I must say, this site is AWESOME. I appreciate what this site offers, it is a great resource and I am excited to be a member!
Now, on to my problem...

I am used to a very fast cable connection and recently I had to relocate for a new job. This area has NO cable or dsl providers, other than direct tv (I can't afford their rates, they are asking over $100 a month!). I've checked with sprint, verizon, bellsouth, etc...the list goes on and on. The ONLY thing available here, that I have found, is dial up. UGH!!!

So, I guess I need to get the fastest dial up provider/connection available. Does Geekstogo.com have any suggestions??? If so, please bring me up to speed on your recommendations.

I am an online gamer (WarCraft 3 only) and I've recently lost soooo many games due to disconnects and other problems that I never had with my cable connection.
I have this nagging feeling that AOL is somehow responsible, at least in part.

What is the FASTEST and best dialup service? All that I am interested in, is the fastest and most stable dialup connection possible. PLEASE HELP!!!

Also, is there anything I can download or buy for my computer, to speed up my dialup connection? If so, please elaborate!

Lastly, is there anything on my computer that I can tweak, change or eliminate that will speed up my connection?

Please list anything that I can do to speed up my dialup connection. All responses are GREATLY appreciated!

I sincerely appreciate your time and input...THANKS! :tazz:

Mr. Supernatural

PS - I hate AOL with a passion, is there a sure fire way to rid my computer of ALL AOL files and keep them off if I find a better dialup provider?

Advertisements

DuffMan

DuffMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Onspeed is a good tool to speed up your connection.

However, no matter how quick you make your dial-up connection, you shouldn't play online games with it.

MrSupernatural

MrSupernatural

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
bump bump bump

MrSupernatural

MrSupernatural

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
anyone out there?

Please respond if you have any input.

Thx!

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
go to majorgeeks.com they have a whole sec on net speed up's

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can basically optimize the modem string and, if you want to get into the registry, there are some adjustments that can be made to the registry for a slight increase in dial-up connection. Not really recommended for the faint of heart.

Thought AOL had that great "Accelerator"??? :tazz:

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

PS - I hate AOL with a passion, is there a sure fire way to rid my computer of ALL AOL files and keep them off if I find a better dialup provider?

View Post

You betcha. I got rid of all my AOL stuff including what was in the registry. I liked PeoplePC for my dial-up connection, but as has been recommended, no online game playing. Sorry you can't use broadband. Know you miss it.

Ron

MrSupernatural

MrSupernatural

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Duffman, Major Payne, p_mii_nawy,

I really appreciate all of your time and effort spent on answering my question(s).

Thank you for your input and suggestions, they will be closely followed, except the part about no gaming online.

I am a hardcore WarCraft3 addict. I'd rather lose, than not play, so I guess that is what I'll have to deal with for another month or so...

You guys rule!!!

Mr.Supernatural