Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to: XP repair installation on partitioned HD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Looks like Wannabe1 is going great with his instructions. :)

Advertisements

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

:) Looks like Wannabe1 is going great with his instructions. :)

Yes indeed. Things are going rather smoothly (thank goodness). I have some questions for wannabe, and a lil' house cleaning that we have to do. Then (I mean it in a good way), I think it's going to be goodbye to you fine folks.

....At least for now....haha.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wannabe,....a couple questions if I may.

1) I had/have SO MANY email accounts associated and setup only through Outlook Express. Some accounts are nearly 10+ years old and the account info/passwords are on a computer I recycled about 2 years ago. Is there any way retrieve those accounts/passwords/contacts?

2) Can I go into (example) Window Explorer and delete the WINDOWS folder/directory, since we're now using WINDOWS0? Also,....can I go "deleting away" on folders I believe I no longer need? The WINDOWS alone will gain me nearly 5 GIGS!!

If I think of anything thing else, (pertaining to what we've been working on), I hope you don't mind me asking.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Retrieving passwords or user names can usually be accomplished through support requests if the accounts are web-based. They will usually send your login information to the alternate e-mail you used when you signed up for the account. If the alternate address is one of those you can't access, then there won't be much you can do. Contacts are usually stored online for web-based e-mail...so if you can access the account, you should be able to regain the contacts for that account.

Outlook profiles, however, are stored on your machine, so if you no longer have the machine you had Outlook configured on, you probably are out of luck on that.

Yes...you can delete the Windows folder. And you can delete any files and folders you're sure you don't need...you can delete the old user account folders, too, if you've got everything you need out of them.

After all those deletions, it would be a good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools).

Then cruise through the steps in our Malware Forum to make sure no infection has made it through all this. If there is any doubt at all about whether there may be an infection present, post the malware experts the requested logs and let them look it over for you.

If you run into any problems with this, or have any questions, don't hesitate to post them for us.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Retrieving passwords or user names can usually be accomplished through support requests if the accounts are web-based. They will usually send your login information to the alternate e-mail you used when you signed up for the account. If the alternate address is one of those you can't access, then there won't be much you can do. Contacts are usually stored online for web-based e-mail...so if you can access the account, you should be able to regain the contacts for that account.

Outlook profiles, however, are stored on your machine, so if you no longer have the machine you had Outlook configured on, you probably are out of luck on that.

Yes...you can delete the Windows folder. And you can delete any files and folders you're sure you don't need...you can delete the old user account folders, too, if you've got everything you need out of them.

After all those deletions, it would be a good idea to run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools).

Then cruise through the steps in our Malware Forum to make sure no infection has made it through all this. If there is any doubt at all about whether there may be an infection present, post the malware experts the requested logs and let them look it over for you.

If you run into any problems with this, or have any questions, don't hesitate to post them for us.

Will do. I'll be in and out all day, so I'll post when I THINK I'm confident that I've done everything I am directed to do.

Please follow up at your leisure and convenience.

Thank you as always you guys!!

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi there wannabe (and rshaffer & Broni). Sorry for my delay in re-posting. Work and lack of "free time" has kept me away from the puter for a while.

wannabe.....I attempted to delete the WINDOWS folder/directory. Some files managed to get deleted but at a certain point I got an error message of (something to the effect) that a file/files is/are protected? I tried to take ownership of it, as Broni told me to do earlier for another folder, but that didn't work. Also, I did a disk cleanup and analyzed the HD. Said that defrag was not necessary. I also d/l'ed Kaspersky Internet Security. However,I have already encountered a major? problem. I believe it was @ YouTube, and I tried to type in a search term. Firefox window minimized and the screen seemed to go berzerk w/ temporary loss of mouse control. Hmmmm. I also noticed lsass running.

I guess that's it for now. I'll await further directions/instructions.

BROKEN RECORD TIME - Thank you again!

Edited by PleaseHelpMeNJ, 31 July 2009 - 05:09 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What file or folder is it that won't delete?

Try using the safe mode Firefox and see if you still have the browser issue using that. (Start - All Programs - Mozilla Firefox - Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode))

If lsass.exe is running from the System32 folder, it's a normal Windows routine for logon authentication. If it's running from any other folder, we need to get you to the Malware forum.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What file or folder is it that won't delete?

Try using the safe mode Firefox and see if you still have the browser issue using that. (Start - All Programs - Mozilla Firefox - Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode))

If lsass.exe is running from the System32 folder, it's a normal Windows routine for logon authentication. If it's running from any other folder, we need to get you to the Malware forum.

This is the message I get when trying to delete the WINDOWS directory/folder(both in normal & safe mode)

Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete FlashUtil10.exe.

Access denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that file is not currently in use.

As for lsass.exe, the only reason I brought that up, is because I never saw it before running under the Processes tab. In Task Manager, it says it's running out of SYSTEM. Does that necessarily mean System32?

Also, I went and d/l'ed Malwarebytes and ran it. Had 5 errors found which the log showed as cleaned/cleared.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should definitely pay a visit to our malware experts when we finish up here. The "System" it references tells us that it's a system file...it's probably legit, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

Do you have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed? If you do, uninstall it and try to delete the Windows folder again. If that doesn't do it, we'll use a program that will get it.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

You should definitely pay a visit to our malware experts when we finish up here. The "System" it references tells us that it's a system file...it's probably legit, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

Do you have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed? If you do, uninstall it and try to delete the Windows folder again. If that doesn't do it, we'll use a program that will get it.

Yeah,...I tried (unsuccessfully) to use the Adobe/Macromedia uninstaller. No good. For some reason it won't even let me delete it? I presume we'll use the program you have?

As for the malware section, I will go over there, but what should I "open" with? I don't know how/where to start?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a system restore point that's before you installed it?

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Do you have a system restore point that's before you installed it?

I honestly don't know. Because on the "old" XP, I had Flash 10 installed probably soon after it's update/release. Also regarding the restore point, I don't know if that'd even be possible, because that's one of the things those NASTY viruses got me on. Blocked me from being able to roll back. I'd attempt to restore to a previous date/time, and it would just sit there & do nothing.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Just a side note wannabe,....Kaspersky is making my internet dragggggg, if pages even load!! I mean it's BAD!! Soon as I turned it off, BOOM!! Flyin' high. (Windows firewall is still on & XP is all updated)

**EDIT** I guess I should've said I THINK Kaspersky is making my internet drag....lol. It's already been well established that I am FAR from the computer techie I THOUGHT I was.....lol

Edited by PleaseHelpMeNJ, 31 July 2009 - 07:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try AVG, Avira AntiVir, or Avast. That may be part of the browser problem.

Download and install Move on Boot. Using this program, navigate to and select the file to delete. You should find FlashUtil10 in C:\Windows\System32. We want to delete the file on the next boot. It's a hidden file and may be seen as a protected system file so you'll have to adjust the folder view settings to see it.

In Control Panel, Open "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and deselect "Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]" Apply the change. Don't forget to change this back when we're finished.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Try AVG, Avira AntiVir, or Avast. That may be part of the browser problem.

Download and install Move on Boot. Using this program, navigate to and select the file to delete. You should find FlashUtil10 in C:\Windows\System32. We want to delete the file on the next boot. It's a hidden file and may be seen as a protected system file so you'll have to adjust the folder view settings to see it.

In Control Panel, Open "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and deselect "Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]" Apply the change. Don't forget to change this back when we're finished.

I did as you directed me to do, but I still get the same error, and the file still remains. Hmmmm??
I did it in both normal mode as well as safe mode, and changed the the protected system file settings.

I mean,....it's not really a "BIG" deal, BUT,....I would regain nearly FIVE GIGS just from this folder/directory. If you're willing to give it a whirl, that would be awesome. If not, I TOTALLY understand. Regardless......you've been a GINORMOUS help and it's so much appreciated!!

Edited by PleaseHelpMeNJ, 31 July 2009 - 09:36 PM.