Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Keyboard/Mouse problem

• Please log in to reply

SpydersByte

SpydersByte

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello there guys.

First of all I don't use P2P programs, so take that out of your mind, and I use the latest FireFox to browse. Now I'm having a very, very odd problem, I have no clue what the cause is. I'm rather computer literate, and this still boggles my mind. FYI I followed your cleaning guide to the T, just so that you know and don't direct me there. I've created a registry backup and system restore point. As far as protection goes, I use:
AVG as my constant Protection/Firewall and all that
Spybot as a scan and immunity tool
MalewareBytes as my malware tool
jv16 PowerTools as my registry/all around cleaner/fixer and of course
VundoFix and TFC as per the 'Read this first' thread. I DID have a problem with Virtumonde but it seems to have gone away since I got MBAM a week ago.

Now, the problem: I have a bad short-term memory, and I've done so much fighting with this that, I'm sorry, but I don't have a perfect memory of everything I've done and why. It started out with some nasty virus that was screwing with my system and not letting me use my keyboard at all. I managed to get my system back to (what seems like) a stable point. None of the scans provided by all the programs above show any problems anymore. The problem I'm having now has many faces, I think the best format to tell you about them is a list. These all happen randomly, so I'll say that now instead of starting every item on the list with "sometimes". Also, it seems that the keyboard and mouse are fine for a few minutes after a fresh boot, then things start getting crazy. That's how I'm able to write this now, I just booted. Here's the list, note that more than one of these problems can be happening at one time, and usually are.

-My mouse will select multiple items on the desktop. I cannot click on an item without it selected icons around it, below it, or above it. Which icons it selects seems kind-of random. Once this happens I can no longer click any one icon.

-Certain mouse buttons will perform functions they're not supposed to I.E. I'll try to scroll a webpage with my wheel and it will launch a program or take me backward or anything you could think of.

-My keyboard and/or mouse will not work at all. Very rarely my mouse, often my KB.

-The keys on my keyboard will type something other than what is on the keyface I.E. "f" will type "6" or some keys will not work at all.

-Ill hear a constant drumroll-beep sound that you'd hear if holding down a key when your not supposed to. This can happen for no reason, or after a click of the mouse, or while a program is running, anything, completely random.

There are other things I cant think of, basically as you can see, my mouse and keyboard are just acting like they are possessed. I've tried multiple USB ports, I've cleaned both mouse and KB, I've done everything I can, nothing works.

As a, or as multiple, sidenotes:

* It seems I can't use all my USB ports. I have around 12 ports, it seems that if more than 4 or so are full, anything else I plug in will not work. This is a new problem.

* My "Registry Cleaner" function on the jv16 PowerTools program doesn't seem to be working. It gets to the "Finalizing" stage and stays there forever. Any idea what this could be, and do you have any opinion on how well the program works? I have the full, paid-for version.

* Another question I need to ask, this may require a separate post I don't know, is that if its possible to combine two XP user accounts back into one without losing anything. I don't know what all they keep separate, so I don't know what would overlap what when combined, and how to decide what wins when overlapped. Both accounts have the same problems stated above

FYI: I don't know if this affects anything, it probably doesn't, but I should probably let you know anyway. This is not a shelf-bought system, I built it. If you need to know components; its on an ASUS Striker Extreme mobo, Core 2 Duo E6400 OC'd to 2.6Ghz, 2GB OCZ Gold RAM, BFG 8800 GTX, and a run-of-the-mill Western Digital HDD. (yea I know, building a new one soon :)

Thanks in advance, your site is a wonderful service to the community.

Edited by SpydersByte, 29 July 2009 - 01:43 AM.

Advertisements