Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pci bridge faulty?

• Please log in to reply

simon_c

simon_c

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have an odd error with a HP laptop - pavillion dv1000 (dv1145ea), XP Serivce Pack 3. A whole load of hardware devices in device manager have question marks against them and the error code 10 "device cannot start". When i change the view of device manager to view by connection all the devices that cannot work are attached to the PCI Bridge. There aren't any devices attached to the pci bridge that do work they all are unable to start. So far I have tried the following

1) updated system bios
2) formatted and done a fresh reinstall of windows xp with latest drivers from hp site (including intel chipset drivers).
3) tried various version of drivers on the pci bridge (microsoft and intel), none of which made a difference.

The laptop has the Intel 852/855 GM/GME chipset and the possible faulty pci-bridge is the 82801DBM (ICH4M).

Anything else i can try or is my best guess of faulty chipset correct? Would really like a second opinion before i throw it in the bin :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like you've diagnosed the issue correctly...i'm assuming that since you're talking about trashing the device that it's not under warranty right?

simon_c

simon_c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes the laptop is way out of warranty. As the laptop is just used for internet and picking up email (and the usb ports all work) I am just going to purchase a cheap usb wireless card and continue to run it until it develops further issues.

Thanks for your reply, a 2nd opinion is always appreciated on weird problems like this.

Edited by simon_c, 30 July 2009 - 05:11 AM.