Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows post reinstallation problems - HELP! >.<

• Please log in to reply

Randeep22

Randeep22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I posted in http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html, but realized as i wasn't going to get a response any time soon, because that thread was initially posted way back in 2005....

Ok, so I had the STOP error on my main computer, and i reinstalled Windows XP, and it seems to have fixed the actual STOP error, so thanks to the guy who started that thread for that :) .

However, although most of my files (music, movies applications ect...) remain intact, I have lost all of my personal settings, I can't get my internet connection (with sky broadband) up on the same computer again for some reason (I'm using the same internet for this computer I'm posting with, and its working perfectly fine. I plugged in everything as you were supposed to, but on the disc it says something along the lines of "You're past your activation date, but still not connected"). Some other programs have stopped working (like iTunes, it says i need quicktime for it to work, which I should have, but the reinstallation must have lost the path or something =/).

Also, when I scroll down and sideways, it seems to be going very slowly for some reason, which is really annoying, and my "2" and "'" keys are mixed up with each other, though they are working just fine with this computer - What the...!? Is reinstalling XP known for causing these kinds of problems?

Also, the STOP error I was getting gave me the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", and another gave me "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" when i turned off that "automatically restart" button. Can anyone please tell me what these mean, and how to prevent them from striking in the future?

Any advice on how to get my computer back to normal again (connect Sky, fix the scroll problem and get the keyboard error back to normal)? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks,

Randeep

Edited by Randeep22, 29 July 2009 - 02:48 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I personally do not have the luck others have with repair installs. I have tried this on 5 XP computer's and 2 Vista computer's with varying results. There has never been a perfect install with the repair feature. I always seem to have problems with data left on the computer that any new users( after the repair install) cannot access.My personal computers i have always used Ghost to make RESTORE CD's with and i have always done monthly backups of Data so i do not lose anything.

Where i have problems is customer computers that they want to save all data and never backed anything up. I have given up and just copy all data to DVD's that i can and then do Clean Installs of the OS. I then move all the data back onto the computer.It is much easier than dealing with all the problems that the customer did not expect to happen. It is all i can do to justify any expense for bringing their system back to normal. You really can't do much when they can buy a new tower from bestbuy for around $400.

Personally i would save all data you can and then wipe the drive and clean install the OS again. It's a pain, yes, but you will have the least amount of problems that way. I think its fun to start over with a nice fast OS for a change. Almost as much fun as when i build myself a new computer every year.

SRX660