Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI driver for new Samsung Display

• Please log in to reply

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all,

I'm new here. First post, but long time lurker. I usually can handle most of the issues I run across without asking for help. However, this one has me stumped.

My company just purchased 6 Samsung 400UXn display wall monitors for use in our Australia installation.

They come with a proprietary Samsung CF module, with Windows XP embedded. We purchased them to run our own software, which won't on embedded as I'm sure your all aware. So I ripped out the mod, installed a 20Gig laptop HDD, and used a usb thumb drive to drop XP Pro on it. Sounds pretty straight forward to this point huh? well here comes the sticky.
It has a ATI Radeon X1200 on board GPU. That I cannot find the appropriate driver for. I know ATI has a long history of flaky drivers, but at least they work a little bit...mostly.

I've spent the last 3 days installing and uninstalling every iteration of the driver all the way back to its inception. I even reinstalled the CF mod, and looked at the driver details to get the version number...which does not exist by the way...and locate it via google-fu.

There isn't any optical drive, expansion port, or a released (accurate) spec sheet, this thing is so new.
Samsung official build date is July 31 2009..I've had it in my office for 2 weeks.

I guess my question is...can I slave the CF mod and utilize the driver that obviously exists only there? And if so how?, as I know of no adapter technology for this configuration. Single IDE port...90 degree CF module, laptop HDD 40 pin.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Aaron
R&D Jackson Digital Imaging

Edited by Aaron_M, 29 July 2009 - 11:36 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...aaron...i think you've got a couple of issues here...#1 you should have figured out if your software would have worked on embedded before splashing out the cash on these new untested contraptions...

there's a HIGH possibility that the video card used in the controller has been modified for use in this system in such a way where an off the shelf driver won't work

you COULD attempt to use something like driver genius to backup the driver off the current controller and load them up on the other hard drive you tried..

what's the purpose of these monitors? i've not heard of them so i don't know the particulars

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nevermind i found the info....are you actually using these as a video wall or as individual displays?

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
in answer to the first...its not my cash...nor my decision...I'm just the poor [bleep] that has to make them work.

These are professional signage displays. We will use them to make a display wall for the thrill ride photos that my company takes, at various amusement parks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you are using them as a video wall not as individuals.....that always makes things fun...

how does your custom application work?

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its part of a suite of software, that takes photos of people on thrill rides, sends the pics to a centralized server, which distributes them to various displays around the park and to a photo sales station. Where guests can purchase their pictures after viewing.

We normally just push the photos across a network cable to a monitor, but a request has been made for a display wall, and my boss agreed.
Now I have to figure out how to have these things interact with our software suite. By the way..our software does run...just in Windows resolution of 1024x768 and the photos look like crap. I need the native resolution of the monitor at least. 1366x768 or better.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so it runs on the thing....just not well

not considering your software...does the system itself run in the larger native resolution?

one "idea" since this thing is just displaying something...would be to see if you could run VNC on it in full screen mode (at the highest resolution) connected to another machine that is displaying the content correctly

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its interesting that you mention VNC. I have that running from my desktop, and everything seems to output just fine to the remote desktop screen. It looks just fine. However, the monitor itself is black as though the monitor driver is in conflict with the VGA driver. Looking at the device settings, Windows sees it as a plug and play monitor. It's not even using the driver INF. So I assume it can't be a driver conflict.

It's the strangest thing I've seen in a while.
Thanks for your suggestions by the way.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which the monitor? which direction are we vnc-ing? FROM the video wall TO your computer? and the video wall isn't displaying?

it may be time to call samsung on this one

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, from the display to my PC. I see the desktop on my desk monitor. The display wall is black as though the GPU isn't outputting to the display driver.

Trust me...I spent all day yesterday talking to know nothing CS reps at Samsung. I had to explain to them what the model was. Again, new new technology. The build date is for tomorrow.

Its weird I know.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i guess that's the problem with being on the bleeding edge eh?

we've got several video walls here at work (comprised of 4 multiplexed NEC 40" plasma TVs a piece) and we have a custom computer that runs them....the machine runs windows XP (not embedded) and we can do whatever we please on it....no display issues what so ever...

is there some other controller built into the video wall other than this embedded PC? the NEC monitors we have are designed to be multiplexed into a video wall WITHOUT any other controllers to handle the distribution of the image....the monitors themselves have settings that control that when they're daisied correctly

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think what I'm going to try today is create a partition, and image the previous drive. It should give me everything that I need to operate. Then Embedded will be on a writable drive so I can use our software.
I'll keep you posted as it seems like you are curious.

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Fixed!!! After almost a week!

Found the driver in the Embedded OS, in a hidden file. Ripped it, modified the INF and installed it on the new HDD. Bingo.

Thanks for your suggestions

Aaron

wuweigl

wuweigl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Aaron_M!

I have the same problem right now. Please tell me were do you found the hidden driver in the Embedded OS?
Maybe you can send me the driver - that would be very nice :)

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards from Germany

Wuweigl

gorke

gorke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need the ati x1200 XP32 driver for samsung 400uxn. Thanks!

email: [email protected]