Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot get "security" tap in windows xp home edition SAFE MO

• Please log in to reply

mpurchases

mpurchases

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I understand that in order to get the "security" tab in windows xp home edition, it is necessary to boot via safe mode.

In non-safe mode, I am unable to find the "use simple file sharing" option in "my computer"/tools/view. The user in non-safe mode is "v5000" which is titled as the admnistrator.

In safe mode, i have TWO users to choose from in the initial windows start up window - administrator and "v5000" - which is the one which shows when I log in non-safe mode way. I have tried clicking both and seeing if the "use simple file sharing" will show but NO LUCK.

Now in safe mode, and in non-safe mode that "use simple file sharing" is just not there.

What i am trying to do is overide the "access denied" in my external hard drive - and take ownership of the files.

Advertisements

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
sorry, the title should read "TAB" not "TAP"

cannot get "security" tab in windows xp home edition SAFE MODE.

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
It looks like it is working - sorry for your precious time.

I THINK I HAVE RESOLVED IT - and i can see the "security" tab in safe mode, but I still do not understand why I have two users in safe mode - administrator and "v5000" but in non-safe mode, there is only "V5000"

I am now taking ownership, but I was wondering if you could explain the above - about two users in safe mode, but only one in non-safe mode.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

As an added security features the main administrator account is hidden from view. This stops users from using it as their main account as this presents a security risk .For example an administrator has full rights to do everything. If you were to become infected then the attacker could gain full use of the system if you used the admin account, whereas in your main login V5000 you will have certain restrictions in place which can prevent major damage to the system upon infection.

You can make the Admin account unhidden but its not advised nor necessary.

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
So, does that mean that in non-safe mode, all the ownership of the files - which were set in safe mode via administrator account - will not be owned in the non-safe mode "v5000" mode?

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
because, the system is seeing the core administrator as the owner of those files, yet, in non-safe mode, that core administrator is not available to own the files, only the "v5000" user is available - because as you say, the admin is hidden to protect us.

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
when i now log in as "v5000" which is the only option I have in non-safe mode, access is still denied to those files, because I think the system believes i am not hte administrator, and because i am not logging in as "administrator" it won't give me access.

BUT, i cannot log in as administrator in non-safe mode, so this is a catch 22.

I can log in via safe mode, which i did, and took ownership with the core adminisitrator as owner, but in non-safe mode, the "v5000" user does not have ownership.

I do not like these two owners, and want just one ADMIN.