Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of insight on buying a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

SamuriCam

SamuriCam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I would like to thank you all in advance for any help that I receive in my search for a new laptop. I'm a senior in high school this year and I'll be needing a laptop soon for college. I plan on going into college for either animation or special effects. (I'd like to be one of the people who make the trailers for movies but, I have no idea what that profession is called.) So, Here is a list of things I would need to be able to do with the laptop:

Animate using Adobe Flash
Edit photos using Adobe Photoshop
Edit video using Sony Vegas or WMM
Burn CDs and DVDs using Nero

Finding a laptop to do the things is simple however what makes it difficult is that:

It needs to be under $600
It needs to have around a 15" screen
I'd like 3-4 GB RAM
I don't like refurbished or used laptops because of bad experiences with them
I'm not a huge fan of Intel processors because of the integrated graphics

However, I will listen to any argument that you can make for the Intel based laptops because I'm not closed minded towards them as I am towards used and refurbished laptops. I hope that you are able to assist me in my search because all I have found so far is:

Gateway M-1631u for $449.99
and
Acer Aspire AS5536-5883 for $479.99

So, as you can see I have not had much luck. I hope that someone is able to assist me in my search for a great laptop.

Edited by SamuriCam, 30 July 2009 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

A couple of suggestions based on personal experience :
Firstly, I've been really impressed with Lenovo laptops. Check out Newegg for example as they have a good selection of them, some for under $600. Admittedly, they're all Intel processors (I too am not Intel's biggest fan) but you can't have everything.
Failing that, you can often do worse than getting a Dell of some description.