Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Issues after Malware removal; internet, cryptsrv,

• Please log in to reply

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrcok,

For the netcfgx.ddl,it is found in the following locations:
c:\i386
c:\WINDOWS\$NTServicePackUninstall$
c:\WINDOWS\system32
c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

ken

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Rshaffer61,

In reviewing my Malware forum issue, it was closed as resolved and my system logs were identified as clean. Rorschach112 posted 7/28 5:29PM that the "logs are clean" from the execution of an AVP tool - and provided measures to remove the softwares used and steps to help prevent the issue in the future. On 7/28 at 5:41PM, I posted a question on how to resolve the other issues that still remained and was directed to post to the XP forum by Rorschach112 7/28 at 6:07PM and the issue was revolved on 7/29 at 4:39PM. I was not able to exeucte the online Kaspersky scan due to the no internet connection issue, but for that issue itself I was directed to the PX forum.

Since then I have (somehow) correct my internet issue and will go back and run the online system scan. I have executed the MaywareBytes software several times since then just to make sure, and they all came back clean. I'm running the online scan steps now and will post the output.

Attempts to execute Kaspersky online scan fail on update attempts due to error: [ERROR: Key is expired]

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Edited by kmarjak82, 09 August 2009 - 02:09 PM.

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

From your latest post, please clarify - are you asking me to open a new topic in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum? Am I suppose to continue on the route of executing the XP Repair procedures? I don't have the media as it is stored on the harddrive. Would you have any procedures to create an XP boot disk from the harddrive loaaded software?

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by kmarjak82, 09 August 2009 - 12:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets do the repair and then see where we are on this...go here for the how to guide...

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Happyrock,

My laptop came with the XP pro software located on the harddrive (/i386 folder) and not on a CD. Are there any procedures I can use to create a boot disk CD from the software installed on the harddrive?

Ken

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope....

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I have the media and will be trying this in the next day.

Thanks,
Ken

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I just attempted the XP repair and have an issue at the end where its trying to install SP2 I believe.

XP repair proceeded according to document.
I popped out the installation CD when it rebooted after the copying of files completed.
On startup - it asked for the CD for the installation of SP2. I put it back into the CDROM drive and it continued.
Two "memory cannot be referenced" errors popped up for an svchost.exe application error.
Then a "Fatal Error" was produced indicating
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press Ok to view Setup.log

Error:
The signature for Windows XP Professional Update is invalid. The error code is 6ba.
The RPC service is unavailable.

Fatal Error:
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

After closing the error displayed, the computer reboots and on startup again, it looks like its attempting to complete the install of the SP2. This loop continues after each failure of the RPC service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like your using a xp disk made by gateway ,dell or similar...it HAS to be a retail or OEM XP disk to work

Advertisements

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

Yes, I am using the Dell provided Reinstallation CD for XP pro SP2 that came with the PC. I've called Dell as well on this, and they are emphatic that the CD provided is correct to do a repair. And they would resend the same CD with my request to purcahse the actual OEM CD. This is the Dell OEM XP Pro CD and not the recovery disk.

The one comment they made as well, was that the repair failed on the RPC process and not so much the CD. I don't know what to think.

What steps can I proceed with? Can I purchase and OEM CD of XP2 to continue or is the issue related to the RPC process not available? Can I boot into the machine to validate the RPC process?

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by kmarjak82, 14 August 2009 - 12:20 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add more ram since you bought the computer...
if so remove the additional ram and try again...
no then ...get memtest 86 here...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours.......then its probably good and we can try other things..
it will run until you press the escape key
the how to is here..

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

No, have not added any extra RAM to the PC. With the PC right now, everytime it boots, it attemps to complete the Repair Setup process - which of course then fails on this RPC process not being started.

How can I boot the PC back into Windows to execute this Memtest program?

I'm feeling a little over my head here and appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Ken

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
memtest is a live cd...that means it has its own boot environment...it does not need windows at all...
just burn the .iso on a working computer put it in the non working computer and start it up...it will start the test all by itself...

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Happyrock,

Thanks for the instructions. The test ran and completed successfully. No errors found.

On boot-up of the XP Repair, the memory error that is displayed twice is:

Header : 'svchost.exe - Application Error'
'The instruction at "0x76ce2ec1" referenced
memory are "0x76ce2ec1". The memory could not
be "written".

Then a dialog box with Fatal Error:
'An error has been encountered that prevents
Setup from continuing.'

'Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a
fatal error. The setup log files should contain more
information.'

'Press OK to view the Setup log file.'

Then the log error of :
The signature for Windows XP Porfessional Upgrade is invalid.
The error code is 6ba.
The RPC server is unavailable.

Thanks,
Ken