Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Persistant problems on start up.

• Please log in to reply

SionW

SionW

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My system takes a good 15-20 to start up. Roughly every other time I turn it on it will either shutdown and restart automatically, bluescreen or be completely unresponsive (so I have to shutdown and start again). When it starts up and actually gets going it seems to run fine. I know there is nothing malicious in my system as it has recently been checked over in the malware forum. That thread has now been deleted, but andrewuk me and suggested I come here.

Thanks.
Sion

Edited by SionW, 31 July 2009 - 04:29 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Right click on my computer...then properties..
Click on the ...Hardware tab then the Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ...right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings tab... and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change..
do the same for the secondary IDE channel...
then reboot
let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

then go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...