Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hoping to find a solution

• Please log in to reply

MELLIE

MELLIE

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone!
I have a question about restoring pictures and found this site. Hopefully someone can help. I'm not the best with computers but I get by. My husband reformatted our computer and didn't have anything saved when he did so. He loves to mess with stuff and doesn't know what he is doing most of the time. My problem is he has lost alot of our pictures. The pics I am most concerned with is my last vacation with my Dad to the mountains. The funny thing is that we still have several pictures on the computer but the ones that were the oldest are gone. Is there any way that I can recover them? I have saved the ones that are left to CD now.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Advertisements

Annna

Annna

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ah...Men XD

I'm sorry to hear about your lost pictures.

Do you know any of the file names of the older pictures?

A while back, I lost some, though I was able to find them when using the "Search" function on my computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are some file recovery software packages around that can SOMETIMES (read 10% of the time) recover files after a full format....but it's not an easy process....and it's far from reliable... there are also a multitude of companies that will do file recovery for a price if you send them your drive...they've got some really fancy stuff and can have really amazing results...with an amazingly large price tag

so the two questions are....what are you willing to do to get these pictures back? and what was the process your husband actually took to "reformat" the computer?

also....IF he did in fact preform a format on the drive...it is IMPERATIVE that you do as little with the computer as possible until you find a way to get the pictures restored....when you format a hard drive you basically just remove the addresses for all the files (you don't REALLY remove the files...depending on the formatting method)...and every time you use the computer it will use the newly allocated space to store it's information...which will overwrite anything that has had the address removed

MELLIE

MELLIE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not really sure what he did to lose the pictures. I know that some are gone and some are not. He said he reformatted but I don't think he really knows what he did either. LOL!! I'll try searching for them. I saw that there are several recovery programs like you said and I might try one of those.
Any other options?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The program RECUVA has been recommended numerous times on this site.

keep in mind that no program will retrieve all of the files.