Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

surge protector

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Not sure on right forum but think a surge protector topic might be considered hardware.

1 - my 1 1/2 year old desktop Dell XPS 400 Dimension recently crashed.
2 - tech tells me it is the motherboard that has gone bad
3 - called Dell to order another motherboard
asked why the motherboard lasted no longer than 1 1/2 year - it's a Dell
4 - was told if using a surge protector it should be replaced every 2 years
they can cause problems such a mine
5 - My Belking surge protector is at least 4-5 years old
I live in the desert where we have year round outages regularly
especially in the summer
6 - am I being given correct information or is it salesman's talk.
7 - a replacement surge protector costs close to $50. In these times
need to monitor expenditures.
8 - Can Advise? :)

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Electronic parts don't last forever, but it is hard to tell when a surge protector might have failed since it depends on how much abuse it has taken. I think that some have a means of testing them.

Personally, I think that a UPS is a better choice since it can supply power if the power goes out or if it dips too far down. It can also correct the power if it goes over.

I think it is a mixture of both salesman talk and reality.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A surge protector is just that... It protects against surges. There are many more problems on the AC lines than just spikes.
I recommend a UPS also, because it will give you backup power to shut down your computer. It will also control spikes, low voltage, frequency variations, brownouts, etc.

All about surge protectors
All about UPS's

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yes, have heard about UPS and will consider this. Am overwhelmed with all the info about them. Are you permitted to make a suggestion as to what type UPS would best fit my situation?

Am grateful for ideas and want to follow through with a UPS but choice will be an issue for me.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Suggestions are possible, but it is really about personal opinion. I personally like APC UPS. I prefer the SmartUPS as it puts out a true sine wave, but it is more expensive. Often you get find them on ebay or even Freecycle/Freesharing without batteries. Overall, it is cheaper to get a used one and buy new batteries than to buy a new one.

The size depends on how long you want to run it when the power goes out and/or the amount of equipment you want to have on it. I tend to go with the 1000VA as those are more common and can be found for a reasonable price.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thank you so very much - will follow through and see what I can find. Your suggestions have been most helpful and thanks for the budget consideration - right now it is most important:)