Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot anymore. BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Karl89

Karl89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey guys, I have a problem, but first, here's my system:

Windows XP Pro 64 bit
4 Gigs RAM
Radeon HD 4870

Recently I tried installing an older version of my gfx card's drivers (because the newer ones weren't supported by a game I play and wanted to play again now, so I needed to install the old version.)

So what I did was get the installer (v 8.4) from the ATI website and installed it. Restarted PC, tried the game, didn't work.

So I tried version 9.4, installed it, restarted PC, uh oh, blue screen of death. One that looked like this one (I recognize the win32k.sys error):

http://blogs.microso...tmyfault2_thumb[1].jpg

So I went on my mom's laptop (which is the one I'm posting this message from) and googled a bit and someone, somewhere, said to go to system32 and rename win32k.sys to win32k.old so I booted in safe mode, went to my system32 folder, found win32k.sys and renamed it win32kold.sys (because my PC doesn't show me extensions so I can't really edit them).

I restarted my PC.. catastrophe, another, different BSOD that only had like 4 lines to it with "Fatal error"somewhere, "system shut down"

So I restart my PC, try to open safe mode.. bam, same BSOD. I try last known working configuration, enable VGA, etc.. etc.., all BSOD.

Basically I can't boot windows at all anymore.

What's the solution? Try to find a winxp 64bit CD and repair? Reinstall?

A format is honestly out of the question, it has way way way too many valuable files I can't afford to lose on it :S

Either way, I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas.

Thanks

Edit: I have another hard drive that I used for some college classes.. it has Fedora and Windows XP32 bit on it.. could it be of any use?

Also, will there be ANY way to recover the files considering reinstalling/repairing doesn't work?

Edited by Karl89, 02 August 2009 - 12:20 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Karl89...

Do you have an XP cd? It doesn't matter if it's 32 bit or 64 bit so long as it contains Recovery Console.

wannabe1

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,

I now have both XP 32 and 64 (got it from my brother).

I suppose I should try a repair then?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the third to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp8 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey wannabe.

I put in my windows XP 64 bit CD and booted from CD...

At the bottom it said to press F6 if I need to install additional SCI (or something like that..)
Or press F2 to access automated system recovery..

At first I didn't press any of them, so it got me to the place where it showed me my partitions and where I could either Install or delete a partition.. I didn't do anything and just rebooted..

Then I selected the second one for automated system recovery..

And then it gave me this message:

Please insert the disk labeled:

Windows Automated System Recovery DIsk

into the floppy drive.

Press any key when ready.

I don't have a floppy drive!!

What shall I do?

EDIT: I tried the Win XP Pro 32bit and it seems to be working, I will try these steps now with crossed fingers it won't wipe the stuff I have on my D drive as it's all my work, school, etc.

Edited by Karl89, 03 August 2009 - 12:50 AM.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
... gah.

When I type "cd \" in the console thing, I get: The path or file specified is not valid.

And by the way, I didn't need to login or anything, as soon as I hit R, the console thing appeared...

Edit: I just realised, I can't lose ANYTHING that's in "My Documents"... what's in D:\ drive though I can afford to lose but would rather not.....

Edit2:.my.laptops.spacebar.is.gone.now,lol,a.friend.suggested.i.use.linux.live.CD.to.recover.the.files.and.just.format,i
s.that.a.good.suggestion?

Edited by Karl89, 03 August 2009 - 02:15 AM.

chupa

chupa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya :) I'm fairly new here and *very* new to linux so I'll try to keep this short and simple. I'd keep using the liveCD method as an if-all-else-fails move, but I'm not entirely sure what else you can do. However, due to me still being new to linux I don't want to guide you through the process and risk something being incorrect and making your problem worse, so here's a detailed guide on it. :)
~Chupa

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you chupa, I believe I will attempt to do that.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I.have.used.an.Unbuntu.live.disc.and.managed.to.access.all.my.files.:)

I.will.be.uploading.them.to.my.webserver.so.for.now.everything.is.okay.although.it.runs.painfully.slow,better.than.nothi
ng.

I.will.update.you.on.my.status.when.this.is.all.done.with.

Thx.

Karl89

Karl89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ended up formatting after moving important files with Ubuntu live.