Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP SCREEN BLURRED

• Please log in to reply

dynocompe

dynocompe

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
i WAS ON MY COMPUTER THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN MY SCREEN started going blurry and like pixellized, I couldnt make out anything, so my first though was oh no my screen went, but I hooked the laptop up to another monitor and it appears the same way, its all blurry. So before I posted this on the internet I did a search and found someone had the same problem so I follwed these steps to fix it:

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

ok so still hasnt fixed it, is my graphic card shot? I dont play any games on the laptoop really, just surf the net basically and work programs. Is there a fix??

Advertisements

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
UPDATE after many tries of different theories I finally figured somethign must be unplugg internally so I took the plung and took apart the laptop for my first time and low and behold, tighthen everything I could see, turned it on and viola!!! clear screen
NO wonder nobody could help me lol

aquafied

aquafied

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Glad that worked out for you. But, for you and others here, its MORE THAN LIKELY that when visual anomalies appear on screen (laptop, desktop, even game consoles) is due to the fact of some sort of hardware failure is imminent. this is true for this case because you plugged an external monitor to your laptop and it looked the same on both screens. So, very unlikely for it to be an operating system misconfiguration (UNLESS THE DRIVERS FOR THE PARTICULAR HARDWARE ARE NOT CORRECT OR NOT OFFICIAL, ETC...) and/or spy ware malware etc..

therefore, in this case, your laptop was just overheating. typical scenario for laptops.

am i 100% absolutely positive? no. and I'm also not claiming to be "the geek god of all the land". I'm just here to give back info because EVERY help forums in THE WHOLE ENTIRE INTERNET always have people who just take and receive input without EVER giving back helpful output to their forum community.

P.S. my first post. AWESOME SITE!

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
my guess is it was overheating too cuz when i woulld shut it off it would clear up for 5 minutes, and same thing when i thought i fixed it by taking it apart 10 minutes later it did it again. Could you help on how do i fix it from over heating?
thanks soo much. Runs fine when first starts up, just when it gets hot in like 5 minutes, it starts to blurr. Any help would be appreaciated. Also if it includes replacing anything in the computer a guess of price would be good too, or if you think its better to just buy a new laptop, let me know , this one is probably 5-6 yrs old, but I just browse the net and would rather hold off on forking out money for a new one. BUt if this costs a couple hundred to fix I will

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ehow shows step by step on how to clean the heat sink in the cooling fan so I will try that , my laptop is a toshiba and I have read overheating s very common in toshibas and this should fix the problem! MY father gave me this laptop just about a yr ago so probably took about a yr to get dirty! hopefully this is it! I have reformated already though . grrr. THanks a bunch

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
and P.S. sorry I can only recieve from this website right now, cuz I dont think people will want my advice on computer problems to give back lol
But this is my first day on this site, and I love it, I find computers very interesting would love to be a geek