Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer and Windows Vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply

lady_hime

lady_hime

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I closed my laptop to go do read and when I opened it, nothing loaded. It was completely black. I closed the top and opened it up, but the lights didn't go out after I closed the top. It just stayed on. Like a fool, I tried the ctrl+alt+del buttons to see if I could get a menu of some sort and nothing happened. Like a bigger fool, I shut it off and turned it back on. Now, the screen is black, but all of the lights are showing up. The sound light is orange (for mute) and the wireless light is orange (meaning it's off). I tried pressing F8, but nothing showed up. I don't know what's wrong and I'm literally in tears here. I need my laptop and I hope whatever it is... it isn't too serious.

My laptop is an HP pavillion dv6000, vista 64-bit, and less than 1 year old. Before I had shut it off, I had microsoft word 2003, firefox, and skype running. I had avg installed in addition to the recommended anti-spyware programs installed.

Please someone, tell me what I should do now... ;_;

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Unfortunately there are a fair few avenues we may need to take to diagnose this. There can be endless amounts of things that go wrong but we will hopefully get it going.

Now when the PC loads does it only ever give you a black screen? Is there at any other point somewhere when there is something on the screen?

If not then try attaching another external monitor to the laptop. Then turn on the laptop and if something comes up on the external monitor then there is a graphics/screen issue.

Also follow This Guide. Go down about 1/4 of the way to were it says Test for memory module errors. Look over the part were it tells you how to remove the backplate. Then:
  • Turn off the Laptop
  • Remove the backplate
  • Remove One of the sticks or memory. Place it on some cardboard and never on carpet or some plastics
  • Close the backplate
  • Turn on the Laptop

If the laptop boots up and displays something you have your culprit. If not then carry out the same process with the other stick by taking out the on still plugged in and replacing it with the stick remove earlier. Keep doing this until each stick of memory has been tested by itself.

However if you do get something on the screen when you turn on the PC I would advise that you run Memtest.
Please follow this tutorial:How to use Memtest

Follow through and then post back with any errors that the PC may give you