Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System upgrade

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have a 2 year old Dell XPS710 that has a 2.1ghz duo core CPU, 2gb of DDR2(?), an nVidia 8600GTS and running 32 bit XP. I know I need to upgrade the video card and I need more RAM (remember when we thought 64mb of RAM was alot?). I would love to just get a whole new system but not sure when or if I will be able to do that so I need to look at some upgrades.
My questions are:
Can I upgrade to a 64 bit OS just by installing say, Windows 7 64 bit (which I have heard good things about) or do I need a whole different MB/CPU?
I have heard that it is best to run at least 6GB of RAM with Windows 7. Can my exisiting MB go that high on RAM and will it do DDR3?
I know my existing video card is PCI express; are the newer ones something else and will my MB do that?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your system still looks pretty decent for Windows 7 64 clean install (you can't upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit, and you can't upgrade from XP to 7 anyway).

I have heard that it is best to run at least 6GB of RAM with Windows 7

This is false. Win 7, like Vista will do fine with 2GB of RAM.
Surely, if you want to go with 64-bit, you may want to take advantage of installing more RAM, however your Dell will max out at 4GB: http://www.crucial.c...x?model=XPS 710