Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network not connecting to the internet.

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
So, last night there was a huge Thunderstorm, complete with hail and gale force winds. And having to shovel ourselves out of the house there was so much hail on the door!

The power went out for... 5 seconds in the middle of it. I woke up, and couldn't connect to the internet.

The internet works when I plug my modem straight into the computer, or else I wouldn't be here right now. And I can see my wireless network, and connect to it, but it's local only. And yes, I do plug my internet cable back into the router to test this.

My router: Linksys WRT54GS v.4
Linksys is absolutely useless. I was on the phone with them and they said "Oh, you have no warrenty. So... just give us $29.95 and we'll try and guide you through fixing it"

What I have tried:
Unplugging and re-plugging router
Resetting router, and having to reset my routers name and password and settings.
Yelling at router (worth a try :))

Any help would be great! Thanks for reading, and double thanks if you try and help me :)

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
This is my thoughts on the situation and my limited knowledge of routers so far in my experience.

even though you can connect to the modem and get access to the internet it sounds like the hardware of the router has gone bad. The fact that you can see your router and get connected to the wireless network just means your connected to the router not the internet. There could be something wrong with the internet port on the router which would cause you not to be able to get connected.

Lightening storms can't change your router settings they pretty much just destroy hardware. If you had it connected to a surge protector I would suggest looking up you surge protectors warranty and see if they would replace the part for you.

1 question though have you tried physically connecting your computer to the router to see if you can get connect like that?

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I got it working again. It was a combination of factory resetting the router 3 times, and yelling at it twice, once after each time it failed (somehow I think that wasn't what helped, haha).

This HAS happened before, same situation, lightning storm knocked it out. And I believe the factory reset worked that time too. It just didn't work when I tried it before posting this topic.

To answer your last question, I did plug the router straight into the computer in question (well, one of them) and it didn't work. It was on the network, but with no internet.

What I find really weird is that the hardware did not fry... I have no idea what happened to it. I do notice, however, when I unplug the router from the box, instead of the wall, It sparks when I plug it back in.

As for my surge protector... Maybe I should invest in a better one, instead of the $5 one I got from IKEA. Instead of a warrenty, it has a fancy Swedish name that I cannot pronounce.

I think this router is on it's last legs. Therefor, it needs to be replaced. I don't think I will go with Linksys again, cause I promised them in my nasty e-mail to them yesterday that I would never touch a Linksys product again because of their attempt to rob me of my money just for an over the phone troubleshooting session.

Thanks for the reply though. And if you have any doubts about what I'm saying, you'll have to know that I have the worst luck with computers and electronics! Warrenty's are my worst enemy, cause as soon as one ends, the problems begin, just look at my post count to see how many problems I've had over the years, haha.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
The only thing that confuses me is how a power outage could effect a routers settings. That would be a question for someone who may have more knowledge on the situation. Only thing I could think of would be the router is slowly going out and by losing power its also throwing the settings out too but that's just a guess.

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello mumps, Is there any light lit on your linksys router. After connecting it to computer go to start--Run command (black window) type "ipconfig" hit enter and check the ip address. If your able to see ip address. Your router is working fine.