Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shuts down

• Please log in to reply

cazzy2211

cazzy2211

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

My desktop PC, running windows xp, has started to shut down and imediately restart at random intervals (sometimes the fan runs loud, others it doesn't). I initially assumed I was running too many programs at the same time so tried starting up in safe mode and leaving the machine on with nothing running...... it still shut down.

My son suggested that the processor was overheating and he put some gel stuff on it for me. The old stuff was chalk like and crumbled off. This didn't help.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or maybe a virus, so appologies if i'm posting in the wrong place.

Any help would be appreciated, i'm a bit out of my depth with this technical stuff and hope i've not left anything vital out.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

My son suggested that the processor was overheating and he put some gel stuff on it for me. The old stuff was chalk like and crumbled off.

Your son advice sounds as a good one, but that old "stuff" has to be well cleaned, first.

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

rusty95

rusty95

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hey cazzy2211

I had that same problem years ago, in my case the CPU Fan stooped working without i even notice then my PC start to shut down randomly, of course the problem was CPU over heat (over 100C degrees) I found that by looking into the bios.

I simple replace the CPU fan and problem solve. NOTE: this was a solution in my case.

but you can go to your bios and check the Temps for your CPU; see if it over heats somehow.

cazzy2211

cazzy2211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to both

Here it is

Posted Image

Processor info: Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

I ran a virus scan to work the processor and both temps 1 and 2 went up, when temp one reached 70C I shut the scan off and both came back down.

My son did clean the old stuff off but didn't have much new gel left (about the size of a small pea) do you think, would that have been enough?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yeah, it looks like we're dealing with overheating here, but SpeedFan's temperatures are little bit inconclusive, so let's double check.

Download, and install Everest Ultimate Edition 4.6: http://www.lavalys.c...ultimate460.exe
Enter following registration code (Help>Enter product key) to make it fully functional:
RHGJE-54X47-HML9C-V498I-UUMVI
(it's all legal, the above version has been recently offered as a free download)

Expand Computer folder.
Click on Sensor.
Post all info from there.

BTW, your Pentium max temperature is listed at 70C, so be careful.