Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to free space

• Please log in to reply

bushie

bushie

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi All,

I need to know how to free up space on a hard drive so I can add an internet security and then log in here with the computer to hopefully get ya's help with all the other problems I have with it.

The computer is a HP E-vectra (stupid little thing!)
Total space-: 9.30gb
free space-: 1.01gb

we have deleted all our work, pictures, games etc. and it doesnt seem to be freeing up much space at all.

As you are probally aware after reading this, I know absoulty nothing about computers so any help would be greatly appricated

Thanx heaps

Bushie

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

Then follow the next steps to clean up and straighten the drive up.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

TimCHills

TimCHills

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Bring up the Add/Remove programs Control Panel and uninstall any Toolbars that you see. Also uninstall all but the most recent copy of the Java runtime environment. If there are programs that you know you won't be using then you can uninstall those, except that be very careful, because sometimes there are important parts of the system that you should not uninstall.

With a little old 10 Gig hard drive your system probably doesn't have enough system resources to be able to run one of the new bloatware internet security programs. You have 1 Gig free at this point, so right now you can install a good lightweight program like Sunbelt VIPRE or Eset NOD32 (use Google to find them.) Either one is available with a 30 day trial. Install one, get the updates, run the scan.

Also, if you haven't run defrag that might help too.
TC

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Using 10GB drive, you're gonna be in constant trouble, no matter what you do, unless you go back to Win 98 (?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree Broni
10 gigs is less then minimum requirements for XP if I remember correctly.
How much memory is installed on your system bushie?
This may be a losing battle :) :)