Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I installed XP but I want to go back to ME. Help Please.

• Please log in to reply

Swag

Swag

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, so here is the story:

This laptop I'm working with, I've had since around 2000/2001. It has the OS ME. I have a network card so I can get online with it. I use a Dynex DX-E201 PCMCIA. So I took the laptop out, hooked the ethernet cord into the Dynex PCMCIA card and tried going online. Alright, it worked... i can go online. Now the reason why I brought this dusty laptop out was to install adware on it and test a few things. Well, this laptop was not working slow, it was actually normal speed... no lag or nothing. So I figured, before I install adware I would upgrade to XP. Ya never know, maybe I can use this computer. I tried installing and it says I don't have enough memory. Alright, so I deleted a bunch of stuff from Add/Remove Program and deleted a few things I didnt need from the hard drive. Things like games and programs I don't use.

Alright, now I try going online real quick to see something. It now says it can't connect to the internet. I can't get online at all now. I dont know why, but I just kept on going and installed XP. XP is now installed and I still can't get online.

The Dynex manual says to put the network card in and wait for Wizard to pop up. Well, it doesnt pop up. I try to run the CD and there is no "Install" button. It just tells you to plug it in and wait for wizard. I tried installing it manually by going to "Add Hardware" but it doesn't recognize it though. But everytime I put in the network card, the computer makes that beep noise. Whenever I take it out, it also makes the beep noise.

I figure I should just restore to back to ME when I could go on the internet. So I go to System Restore. Well, the ONLY restore point is January, 1999. I tried it, but I still get XP.

What I want is to try and go back to the point before I uninstalled all those programs and when I COULD get online. Any suggestions?

*EDIT: The network card is a few years old. Maybe even 3-5 yrs. But it was working yesterday before the removing of the program and installing XP.

Also, don't say, "You don't want to install adware". I have my reasons. I didnt even get to the point of installing adware.

Edited by Swag, 04 August 2009 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Perhaps you should have checked to make sure you could get XP drivers for all your hardware before you installed xp?

Still got your WinME cd? Sure hope so because your only option now is to wipe the harddrive and start all over. There is no way you can just "go back" to the previous operating system unless you used an XP Upgrade cd and not a full install cd.

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just an addendum here, but try going to the following link and download the driver for the pcmcia card. Unzip it and now try to get it installed.

http://www.dynexprod...201_Drivers.exe

Murray

Swag

Swag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Perhaps you should have checked to make sure you could get XP drivers for all your hardware before you installed xp?

Still got your WinME cd? Sure hope so because your only option now is to wipe the harddrive and start all over. There is no way you can just "go back" to the previous operating system unless you used an XP Upgrade cd and not a full install cd.

Murray

I don't think it came with a windows ME cd. I bought the laptop and it came with it.

Just an addendum here, but try going to the following link and download the driver for the pcmcia card. Unzip it and now try to get it installed.

http://www.dynexprod...201_Drivers.exe

Murray

Thanks, I tried that last night. It's the same files I have on the CD.

I want to add, this network card says its compatible with XP. I'm thinking my only choice is to contact the company.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Perhaps your not installing the card correctly. Go to Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager and remove any reference to the card. Shut down and insert the card. Follow the instructions in the Dynex installation guide that are found on page 4. If the Found New Hardware Wizard doesn't come up you'll have to start it manually by using Add Hardware in Control Panel. Ignore the warning about cancelling the wizard and using the cd. Let the wizard search and if it doesn't find the card select it manually.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you could also just get this LINKSYS WUSB54GC IEEE 802.11b/g here...$38.00 including shipping...
keep xp...WinME is no longer supported...