Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recycle Bin Problem

• Please log in to reply

sharf

sharf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm a first time poster here, so I hope this is in the right spot, please forgive me if it isn't.

Normally I don't have any problems with computers I can't fix, however this one has me stumped. My dad has files that were on his computer from a company he used to work for. Because he was no longer on that company's network, he was unable to access/delete them. So we were using the Malware Byte's File assassin, which worked, but upon trying to delete the folders, including the files, they were sent to the recycling bin. Now when ever you try to empty the bin, we get an error message saying access is denied and the files cannot be deleted. File Assassin can't see the recycle bin to remove the files, and so were stuck with about half a gig of useless files unable to be removed from the recycle bin.

It's an old gateway laptop running windows XP pro, using service pack 2. That's all the info I have not being on the computer at this time.

Is there software that can delete the files, or is there a way to force the bin to empty that I'm not aware of?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, sharf

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try here: http://forums.techar...port/990228.htm

sharf

sharf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I had already seen that and had no luck. I fixed it...it was a huge hassle though, because there was no way to delete the info2 file or the recycler directory at all, even in DOS/cmd. I ended up using Unlucker to unlock and kill the recycler process which allowed it to delete everything while explorer restarted? I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but it cleared all the recycling bin files, and on reboot it worked fine and everything was gone.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good news :)