Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig will not load from start menu

• Please log in to reply

jo1men

jo1men

• Pip
  • 1 posts
PLATFORM: Windows XP SP2
PROBLEM: msconfig will not load from Start-Run window but instead gives an error message that it can't find the file and that I should type it in correctly.

SYMPTOMS:
1. I can execute it from C:\Windows\PChealth\helpctr\binaries.
2. Help and Support does not exist in listing of running services.
3. I cannot open Help and Support from the Start menu but instead I get the same error message that it can't find the file "helpctr.exe"
4 There is only one subfolder - binaries - in C:\Windows\PChealth\helpctr while on another computer that works properly there are15.
5. Taskmgr does open from the Start-Run window - although I realize it resides in a different folder..

SOLUTIONS?
1. Microsoft notes 555329 and 55472 offer a registry edit that appears to set up a path to the above directory but that would not replace the missing folders. Besides, while I have edited the registry successfully in the past, I would like to explore all other options first.
2. Microsoft notes 888018 recommends executing C:\inf\PCHealth.inf and use the original installation disc when called for. While I have the disc and it looks like this approach might edit the registry and reload the missing folders, caution dictates that I consult experts before I do something that might cause real trouble.

COMMENTS:
1. I do use a firewall and real time anti-virus. In addition I use 4 different programs weekly to do malware scans. Lastly, to my knowledge I have not had an attack for quite a long time so I don't think this problem is due to malware.
2. It is possible that I might have run Easy Cleaner some time in the past and that might have caused the problem. However, I have removed it and now use CCCleaner - very rarely and carefully!
3. Fortunately, the computer otherwise perfoms every other function very well so this problem is not terribly critical.. However, I do try to keep it as close to optimal performance as possible.

YOUR SUGGESTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. DO YOU THINK SOLUTION 2 MIGHT WORK WITHOUT A COMPLETE REPAIR USING THE OS DISK AND THE SUBSEQUENT REINSTALLATION OF CLOSE TO 100 UPDATES - i HAD TO DO THAT JUST RECENTLY ON ANOTHER COMPUTER!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file

How to use Scannow sfc...

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

NOTE..the single space between sfc and /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.