PROBLEM: msconfig will not load from Start-Run window but instead gives an error message that it can't find the file and that I should type it in correctly.
1. I can execute it from C:\Windows\PChealth\helpctr\binaries.
2. Help and Support does not exist in listing of running services.
3. I cannot open Help and Support from the Start menu but instead I get the same error message that it can't find the file "helpctr.exe"
4 There is only one subfolder - binaries - in C:\Windows\PChealth\helpctr while on another computer that works properly there are15.
5. Taskmgr does open from the Start-Run window - although I realize it resides in a different folder..
1. Microsoft notes 555329 and 55472 offer a registry edit that appears to set up a path to the above directory but that would not replace the missing folders. Besides, while I have edited the registry successfully in the past, I would like to explore all other options first.
2. Microsoft notes 888018 recommends executing C:\inf\PCHealth.inf and use the original installation disc when called for. While I have the disc and it looks like this approach might edit the registry and reload the missing folders, caution dictates that I consult experts before I do something that might cause real trouble.
1. I do use a firewall and real time anti-virus. In addition I use 4 different programs weekly to do malware scans. Lastly, to my knowledge I have not had an attack for quite a long time so I don't think this problem is due to malware.
2. It is possible that I might have run Easy Cleaner some time in the past and that might have caused the problem. However, I have removed it and now use CCCleaner - very rarely and carefully!
3. Fortunately, the computer otherwise perfoms every other function very well so this problem is not terribly critical.. However, I do try to keep it as close to optimal performance as possible.
YOUR SUGGESTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. DO YOU THINK SOLUTION 2 MIGHT WORK WITHOUT A COMPLETE REPAIR USING THE OS DISK AND THE SUBSEQUENT REINSTALLATION OF CLOSE TO 100 UPDATES - i HAD TO DO THAT JUST RECENTLY ON ANOTHER COMPUTER!