Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my security program combanation sufficent?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I have spybot, ccCleaner, advanced systems care, Avira antivirus, bazkkoa scanner & eusing free registry cleaner to protect my XP Pro. Ive used this combanation for years now & I keep them updated & run them often. I havent had anything slip by these programs yet(knock on wood) but Im wondering if there is a better combination of (free) programs that can keep me even safer?

I also use firefox instead of IE because I hear its safer than IE.

In case this helps I use my XP to feed my craigslist addiction & to research items Im selling or buying on Craigslist. And sometimes I'm on MySpace but I dont use graphics & all that MySpace crap from those myspace crappy graphic / widgets sites because I create my own graphics with Photoshop so I dont have to risk those polluted sites.

So how safe is my laptop & how can it be safer?

Please & Thank you!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I'd recommend removing Eusing Registry Cleaner, it used to be a rogue program that would give false positives. It is also way too aggressive at fixing the registry.

Bazooka Scanner is no good either.

Spybot is too out-dated these days, and Advanced System Care is another "cleaner" that really does nothing.

Have a read of this for some tips

http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok so i went to add remove programs & i found some weird program called "FFPremier advertising Platform" & it says last used in 2073 (see pic included) ?!?! What the...? And its a huge program. What is this & what do I do with it?

And also The registry program & bazooka dont seem to want to uninstall.How do I get rid of them?
wtf.jpg

Edited by saraveza408, 05 August 2009 - 08:31 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Ok Im doing all it tells me to do. When Im finished & I still have uninstall problems or that FFPremier advertising Platform is still in my add remove programs I take it to the malware forum & post these problems there with my OTL log right?

((thanks BTW, Im not to much of a expert at this stuff so I know my questions can be so armature. Thats why I love geeks to go. EVERYTIME Ive had problems or questions I find the best help here. And I LOVE the way the staff doesnt make me feel stupid & really takes the time & necessary steps to help me. thanks again & again!))

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try this to uninstall it and any other programs

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Then go post in the Malware Removal forum for the malware issue

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
WOW! I love that Revo uninstaller! It took care of all the programs I had trouble uninstalling! And it seemed really thorough! It even took care of that weird program I had!
Thanks!

So I did everything you said & posted my logs in the malware forum.

Many many thanks for all the help here!

untill next time.....