Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont boot not even to cmos

• Please log in to reply

blake2k

blake2k

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I dont know my fans been loud as a dirt bike for a few months now havent got a chance to pick up a new one.. anyway now the comp wont even boot I unplugged the batteryfrom the mother board tryed killin the cmos I finnaly got it to boot it was running for about 6 hours i rebooted and it stopped booting again.. now I cant get it to boot It like doesnt even load the monitor the cd drive light blinks and makes a sound like its loading then stops and does it over and over like every 10 seconds and the network card that my dsl wire is plugged into is lit up but unlights and relights up every few seconds..
seems like its trying to boot but not working out..

any ideas what I can do? :tazz:

Advertisements

zerksies

zerksies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
sounds like the cpu burnt out from the excessive hest from the dirty fan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there's no way of telling from your description....

CPU is a good bet, but so is the motherboard. It doesn't sound like a power supply, but those are tricky to track down.

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
CPU as in the pentium 3 chip??

I really hope its not that.. and just a screwed up fan causing it..

i cleaned out thick [bleep] layers of dust out the one that was on the processor still wont boot.. any kind of diagonostic tests I could try to figure out what the deal is??

zerksies

zerksies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
the only real thing to do is start replacing the suspected bad parts with known working parts

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
If you have a spare computer around that uses the same parts, I would recommend replacement tests that way. It doesnt cost any $$. i.e take the suspected CPU out and put it in the other computer. If it works, then not the CPU, but I had a similar incident with my wifes computer. Brand spanking new AMD processor died after 3 hrs.
If you suspect that you have a bad CPU fan, dont reuse it, a bad broken fan can cost you a CPU.

How long does the computer stay lite up even tho it might not boot? 3 sec. 1 mins??

Just remember, the process of elimination could be exspensive
Good Luck!

Edited by John_Doe, 14 May 2005 - 06:49 PM.

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me ,

Well when I boot the computer it seems like it will stay on forever and just not go anywhere so I usually just turn it off after I see the lights blink repedietly on it..

It seems like it keeps reloading the disk drive and other cards because the network card's green light go's on and off at the same time as the cd drives green light maybe its the battery not giving it enough juice or somthing??

Because the one time I did get it to boot out of that state was when I had plugged it into a different power socket on the surge protector and now that dont work along with directly into the wlal either..

Edited by blake2k, 14 May 2005 - 08:31 PM.