Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video cause lag

• Please log in to reply

pandaboe

pandaboe

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
when ever i play a video on any player(youtube, WMP, VLC...etc) it causes a major lag on my computer

can you help?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
When did this problem start? Is this a notebook, Apple, or PC or mainframe? What make and model?

Assuming no malware, and a fast Internet connection, make sure you have enough RAM, lots of free disk space, and a properly configured page file.

pandaboe

pandaboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
mkay i have a desktop
windows xp
media center
version 2002
service pack 3

hp pavillion
amd athalon 64 processor
3800+
2.39 ghz,1.93GB RAM
its not malware, i just got my system cleaned using this website and the member directed me to this forum for this problem

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

its not malware, i just got my system cleaned using this website and the member directed me to this forum for this problem

Ah. This is information that should be provided up front. We would rather have TMI, than no enough.

1.93Gb of RAM? That is an odd amount. I assume you are using on-board graphics, always a bottleneck. How much free disk space? How do you connect to the Internet?

pandaboe

pandaboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
haha right sorry idk what all you need

and i thought the number sounded weird for ram but thats what the system says

on the hard drive i have 114gb used and a 109gb free

internet connection
i have broadband high speed using a cisco router by linksyssp
internet speed
Download Speed: 3272 kbps (409 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3519 kbps (439.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
(test ran at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did it ever work right? My guess is the on-board graphics, most likely designed for doing office and school type work, just can't meet the demands for today's graphics.

pandaboe

pandaboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
its a media center computer
yea it used to work right
the on board graphics card is ATI radeon Xpress 200
i believe all the drivers are up to date
but im not sure

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know the problem. I still suspect it is a weak graphics solution. You say this happens "on any player" - what about playing a DVD movie? What if you download the file first (scan for malware) then play it? If these are streaming videos only, do other computers there work fine?

There is still something funny going on with the RAM. Typically, on board graphics consumes RAM in chunks with 8 as a factor (8, 16, 32, 64, and 128MB). What does Belarc Advisor say you have for memory modules?

pandaboe

pandaboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
haha you tell me

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry. I should have mentioned to not paste your Belarc log. You will see on the log it says you have 1984 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory - not 1.93Gb mentioned earlier.

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB

1024 + 512 + 512 = 2048

2048 - 1984 = 64Mb which happens be have 8 as a factor. So it would appear your RAM is fine. But what that says to me is your motherboard has allocated 64Mb of system RAM and dedicated it to the on-board graphics. 64Mb is not very much in today's graphics intensive world - especially at high resolutions.

If me, I would save up for a graphics card. Just about any card, even near entry level will likely have more than 64Mb of RAM. In fact, there are several with 256Mb for around $40. Not only will a card most likely have a better graphics engine than the on-board, it will free up the previously taken 64Mb of RAM, essentially giving you a little RAM increase in the process.

The main precaution with adding or upgrading graphics card is to ensure the power supply and case cooling can support the added demands.

pandaboe

pandaboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok thanks, ill look for a new card