Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System32\msconfig repair problem

• Please log in to reply

thomrd

thomrd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Got the dreaded ""windows/system32/config/system file is missing or corrupt. You can attempt to repair this file be starting windows setup using origional setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair." I have followed other posts here but I have what appears to be a unique problem in the repair process.

Specifically, when I select r in the repair module it then asks me to select the installation and only gives me space to input one letter. Previous posts have suggested entering a 1 but when I do this I get an error message and have to reboot.

Is there a workaround for this or possibly entering another number?

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello thomrd. Can you tell me what exactly you see on your screen after you select "r" to enter the Recovery Console and what exact version of Windows you are using please?

Thank you,

thomrd

thomrd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is what I get when I enter the Recovery Console of Windows Setup:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(to Cancel, press ENTER)?

I am running Windows XP. If I type in a 1 and hit enter I get a blue screen error message and I have to reboot.

Thanks

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
It sounds like the XP disk you are using isn't an OEM XP disk. According to Microsoft, in order to recover from a registry error that prevents XP from starting you cannot use your Recovery Disk(s) supplied with or made from your system. At this point, we have 2 options:
  • Do a complete reformat with the disk(s) that you have or
  • Purchase an OEM copy of Windows XP and use it to do the Recovery

thomrd

thomrd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am using a Dell disc with Windows XP on it (Not a recovery disk). I am not going to purchase a new version of XP. What does the disk reformat entail?

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
The reformat is using the disk (needs to be the one that came with the computer or it will not have all of your drivers) to erase the HD completely and restore it to the original factory settings.

thomrd

thomrd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Am using the system disk that came with the system. Have tried to reinstall Windows but this too brings up the error screen. How do I reformat without logging into Windows?

Thanks

NexRad

NexRad

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Let me ask this, is your BIOS set to boot from your CD-rom drive?

If you are unsure just put the disk into the CD-rom drive and restart your computer. If your BIOS are set to boot from CD first then you will get a black screen and white text saying press and key to boot from CD.

Edited by NexRad, 06 August 2009 - 02:41 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What does the BSOD say?

thomrd

thomrd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Am booting from the disc but same problem.

Any ideas on how to reformat the drive?

Thanks