Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network set to local access only

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hello!

I've been scouring the internet trying to solve this problem and haven't come up with anything.

My laptop is currently connected to the internet through an ethernet cable. My roommate has a wireless router that my laptop has been able to connect to with no problem in the past. Then suddenly I couldn't use it anymore. It would connect successfully, but the internet wouldn't work. Then I noticed that my computer was reporting it as Local Access Only. I've tried restarting his router and removing his network and connecting manually but it's still the same.

I'm running Vista, and while I've read of people having the same problem, it seems to be after upgrading from XP. I've been able to connect to the internet wirelessly with Vista before on this network.

I'm not sure what his computer is running, probably XP. But he doesn't use it often, and he's actually not here right now, so if that problem can be solved on my end that would be great :)

Since I've had problems, I've had one other person able to connect with their laptop, and one who couldn't.

I really appreciate any help, this problem has been driving me crazy!

-Amanda

Advertisements