Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gift computer freezing and is clean of malware

• Please log in to reply

HungryMan

HungryMan

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
i have this computer here i have been working on for some time now. i had some assistance getting the logs clean but that has not stopped the computer from freezing and locking up. here is a link to the previous thread about malware

http://www.geekstogo...de-t247462.html

Posted Image

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

All drivers up to date?

Anything showing in Device Manager with a yellow or red mark beside it?

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
to my knowledge all drivers are up to date and programs as well. device manager looks good but the ethernet that is not installed properly and i do not use.

Posted Image

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is there any specific time it freezes up ?

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
nope it never gives any warning. it just freezes. sometimes it is working on some task sometimes it is just sitting idle. like today it has been on a few hours and is still going but MOST of the time it makes it less than one hour of run time before locking up.

i went into the bios and used it to watch the temp and it was around 107-108 F sometimes hitting 109-110 but not for long. and system temp about the same. i want this to be my primary computer so i need to get it to run for days on end if need be.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you opened it up and cleaned it out especially the CPU fan and heatsink?

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it is opened now and no build up in the way of anything. all good connections and it sounds good. from my angle everything looks fine ad should be running great.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Let it run like that for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
the case is not closed as i do not have the closing side....so it has been running like that this whole time....first thing i did before even booting it up was to clean it up.

Edited by HungryMan, 08 August 2009 - 01:49 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Got the install cd for that system?

If so, I would be doing a "repair" install at the very least and, if it were mine, a complete reformat and re-install at this point.

Murray

Advertisements

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it is a home built pc. and i have misplaced my windows disk for now. so is there another thing or few to check. i mean some software we can use to check stability of the pc or something. i feel like i had already answered all these questions. there has to be some other stuff we can do from here before i have to reformat. seems that the logs are clean so that should not be causing the issue so maybe hardware?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, if you want to check the hardware aspect.. Just remove everything that isn't needed right now (go to one stick of ram.. disconnect the cd drive and/or floppy.. remove the vid card and use the onboard card only, etc)..

If the system is stable, start adding them one at a time.

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok when i started this was just the minimum and it was locking up, matter of fact right now there is nothing i can take off except the second HD. and i could go to one stick of ram but i have already done one stick and it locked then i tried the other and it still locked and they post with the right amount of memory so no reason for me to believe that they are bad in any way. and my friend said before he gave the stuff to me that he had never had a problem with it and that it may have locked up 4 times in it's entire life.

it is hard for me to believe that the file system could cause this computer to lock up at random intervals anywhere between 1 minute and 6 hours. and i would have thought if it were a real issue with hardware it should always lock up after running about the same time. so what should i do here.

Edited by HungryMan, 09 August 2009 - 10:39 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Disconnect the second harddrive.

Murray

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
when the computer locks up doesn't it create a log that explains what happened. and if so can't we access these logs.

i took the second HD off and am going to be running it a bit today. also i am looking for my windows disk (i think i can find it i just have to go through some boxes) and when i boot i assume because i tried to install spywaregaurd and it won't run i am getting this.

Posted Image