Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer doesn't shut down (properly, as it should)

• Please log in to reply

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
According to this:

http://pcsupport.abo...-beep-codes.htm

The beeping might indicate overheating of the system

1 High Pitched Beep (Repeating)
A single, repeating, high pitched beeping sound means that the CPU is overheating. You'll need to figure out why the CPU is getting too hot before this Award beep code will go away.

Important: Turn your computer off immediately if you hear this beep code. The longer your CPU is running hot, the higher the chance that you'll permanently damage this expensive part of your system.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
well the beeps only came on once, don't know what caused it

but this is strange, i read on a site that to solve a problem like this, you take the power cable out, then hold the power button for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug in the power cable

and to my surprise, it actually worked, which proved to me that the video card was not the problem (as it was not attached at that time, and also that the onboard graphics work)

only one problem though, i forgot to attach the hard drive while i was in the process of testing the motherboard and psu, so the computer gave some error and then shut itself down

now its back to the old problem

source:

http://en.kioskea.ne...-t-boot#p124589

Edited by jadi929, 23 August 2009 - 06:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reattach HD and then redo the steps from last post.
I don't think this is going to fix the problem.
By doing this step the only thing you are doing is draining any reserve power out of the PSU.
I still believe you have a MOBO issue.
Let me know if this does work

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well i didn't do that step again, as you said it drains the psu.

I tried another way of testing the PSU. I removed all wires attached which were coming from the psu. Next i took the 20 pin cable (which was unplugged) and stuck a paper clip into the pin in which the green wire was attached, i then attached the other end in one of the black wires next to it. Then i attached just the cd rom, and plugged in the power cable. The light on the cd rom turned on, so now i'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the PSU. (but the cd rom wouldnt open, not sure if that has anything to do with it.)

Next i took out the paper clip, and reattached everything back. Keep in mind that no hardware was attached. I thought to just power it up again (with everything in normal) just for the heck of it. Now i just plugged the power cable in, (no monitor/mouse/keyboard/etc) and it power up normally (because the fan wasn't spinning loudly)

I then quickly attached the monitor cable while it was booting and i had display, it booted up properly.

Then i attached the mouse, but there was no power to the mouse. Do you think maybe the mouse/keyboard socket is the culprit here? Because this also happend back when i first attached the new video card.

So for writing so much lol, i really appreciate your help :)

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
also, i found out that the max wattage on my psu is 250

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
250 watts?
Oh lordy... Your video card is new right?

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well it was. I just returned it today, lol and while I was packing it back up I read on the box that it required a 300 watt or more psu. Lol I don't even know how it worked in the first place

I'm thinking of getting a new psu and see if that does the trick

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Corsair 550 watt 80 plus certified like this one HERE from NewEgg

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
thanks for the recomendation, but i'm afraid it won't fit in my budget

i have come down to these two:

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218084393178

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1174091945952

They are both 400 Watt, and they both say they are compatible with Intel® and AMD multicore processors, does that mean they will work with my pc?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes they will work.
My personal preference between the two would be the Dynex
I have used them alot and in fact I have a 300 watt one in my system now that has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok, thanks, thats the one i was thinking of too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let us know how it turns out after installing the new PSU.

jadi929

jadi929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
i just tried it, the dynex one (400 watt)

it turned on after i installed the new psu. i got to the desktop and everything seemed fine. But knowing that it had turned on before, i decided to restart it to see if it would. But no success, still no signal to the monitor. So now i'm going to remove it and return the thing.

So that just leaves the motherboard... but i'm afraid what if i get a new mobo and even that doesn't do the trick

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you give me the make and model of MOBO?
I will see what I can find out about it.