Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows media audio/video file

• Please log in to reply

old crow

old crow

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So I gave up on using Pinnacle as my editing software and used Windows Movie maker. Made a great video but it is a Windows Media Audio/video file and I would like to know if anyone knows how to burn this onto a DVD. I can put it on a CD just fine, but I have friends who own Macs and can't play this file on their computers. Ideally, I'd like to convert it into a format that can be burnt onto DVD and played in DVD player.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Windows Movie Maker you can select save to my Computer then save as a DV - AVI file which you can save to DVD and play on a DVD Drive

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Glad you know that....if there are two HUGE gaps (as opposed to the numerous little ones) in my knowledgebase, it is video making and Instant messenging.....

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I must have a different version, because if I click "save to my computer" it doesn't give me a "save as" option. If I click "save as" under "file", it only gives me the MSWMM option to save it as...

Is there an update that I can download that might have the option you were mentioning?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.microsoft...oviemaker2.mspx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click save to my computer then you get name and save to location, click next then put the dot in other settings then use menu to choose DV - AVI

Click file then save movie then my computer and it goes to the same screens above

This is for 2.1.4026

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay... I think I saved it properly. Selected the AVI option and it's saved now. I'm completely useless with computers... I have Nero Start smart- should I use this for burning a DVD or does windows media player have a Burn to DVD option?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Nero, at the top it should have CD/DVD then you should have 6 symbols underneath, 4 from left is photo and video, then you get 2 rows, 3 down in right side row is make your own DVD, choose this then add video files, browse to the file then click to add, then press next until you get to the burn option.

On the burn option page you should see recording settings, click this then tick determine maximum speed, the other two should already be ticked.

Use a DVDRW disc just in case

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay... I was trying what you said but it tells me that my file is too large. When I rendered it in a Windows movie maker file it was 100 MB. Now that it is saved as an AVI file, it's just over 2GB! The error says "This file can not be stored as an ISO file system and you need to use UDF to write such files. This can be done by selecting another compilation type". I can't find UDF anywhere- just ISO.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Nero but choose make movie instead of add video files, then use + to add it then use export and use the options to reduce the file file size by saving it at 352 by 288

Advertisements

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay... I'm so completely useless at this- you pretty much have to spell it out for me (even more so than you have, if you can believe it). When I open up Nero, how do I find "make movie"? I chose, under photo and video, Burn DVD files. Then it opens up a separate window. My movie is on the right hand side of the screen. If I drag it into the middle part of the screen, it gives me an error... And now I can't find the Make Movie option. I swear this video has taken up WAY more of my life than it was supposed to ...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
[attachment=884:attachment] So this is 1st

[attachment=885:attachment] then 2nd

[attachment=886:attachment] then click make move

[attachment=887:attachment] then press symbol on left with magnifying glass

[attachment=888:attachment] then browse and click file

[attachment=889:attachment] then pess blue +

[attachment=890:attachment] then press export and note the save to location which should
be Nero exported video but you can change this

[attachment=891:attachment] Press Export again, you may get warning about NTSC or Pal
choose which applies, it exports movie then press OK then
keep pressing next until you get to burn, before you press burn press recording settings to put tick in determine maximim speed

[attachment=892:attachment]

Edited by Keith, 13 May 2005 - 02:03 PM.

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I see the problem- my program only gives me 4 options under Photo and video. There is no "make movie" option, only Burn DVD/video files. If I click that, that is when I run into trouble...

Do I need an update? I have Nero 6- I don't know where the original disk is, so if I need it, I'm outta luck...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start smart then the word Nero then check for updates, it should give you new updates available then green arrows to download them, likely to be 35mb, you need packages 1 and 2 for DVD and 4 for Nero player, make sure you close Nero before you start to install the updates

Edited by Keith, 13 May 2005 - 04:41 PM.

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
WOOHOO! It took two full weeks of messing about to get this video done, in the right format and burnt onto DVD. Thanks SO much, Keith!

Finished videos work in my player and I'm mailing them out to my friends as we speak!

Thanks again