Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD with HD Failure is not always fatal...

• Please log in to reply

Termie

Termie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Apparently this nonexist hard drive is really something. Everybody should get one! After it gave me the above information and rebooted...well I haven't had a problem since. Everything works. Downloaded its trial version of Norton. I played a game of Spider on it. Connected to wireless DSL. My son took over and is giving it a thorough run through playing Combat Arms again. Of course I don't expect it to keep it up or think I'm out of the woods yet. It's just been bizarre.

Advertisements

Termie

Termie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm sorry Happyrock, I somehow missed your reply before my last comment! :)

Replacing the HD is not a big deal, as I've already formatted the drive and it's back to factory condition (the above functioning "nonexistent" drive notwithstanding-btw, I was making that comment in fun, not sarcasm :) ) . Question is, what kind of drive can I replace it with? It's a Samsung SpinPoint M60, HM 120JI, SATA 1.5 Gbps, 8 MB buffer, 5400 rpm 120 GB, 9.5 mm thick. I figured I'd have to match the RPM and buffer size and the 1.5 Gbps and also make sure its size is equal to the size of the current drive (no more than 9.5 mm thick.) But is there something else I should be wary of?

I'm relieved it's JUST the drive. I was worried something else-something irreparable and irreplaceable-was wrong.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
stay really current on backing up the data ...it can fail at any time and according to Murphy's law...anything that can go wrong will go wrong...and at the worst possible time...
here is a link on where to get a replacement drive...pick one with lots and lots of good ratings

Termie

Termie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you SOOO much Happyrock. I really appreciate your help with this! Luckily for me, I don't really have to worry about backing up data, it's my son's lap and he only uses it for email (saved on their server) and playing games, so it's not a critical machine. If it were otherwise, I'd probably back up every day. :)

One more question before I choose a drive...using the above parameters on this drive, where do I have wiggle room? I assume a larger (GB-wise) drive is ok if necessary (like maybe 160 versus the 120 at present) but what about buffer, read/write speed and rpm (I'm thinking rpm should remain the same...?) I want to make sure I don't get something that isn't suitable for this lap, i.e., buy one with a bigger buffer or faster read/write and find out that my MB or processor can't handle it. Considering it's 3 years old, I'm thinking that drives are probably a bit more advanced in efficiency nowadays and I might not find the same exact kind.

Course, NOW that I've looked at the link, questions are answered! DOH <facepalms>

Edited by Termie, 16 August 2009 - 07:54 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)
I would go with the one at the top...has the most good ratings and that drive is a match for what came with the system....avoids any other complications...